Page 1 of 15 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: The NBA Playoffs

1. The NBA Playoffs

This weekend, the NBA's second season (the good one) started, and so far there've been some excellent games. McGrady just dropped 43 on the Pistons.

Phoenix beat the Spurs last night in OT with two absurd shots - this wild, awkward bank shot 3 from Stoudamire (he hit two 3 point FGs all season) to make it into OT, and then a last-half-second off balance midair banked-in 3 from Marbury to close out the game. That last 3 came after a Spurs player hit a free throw to put the team up by 2, and then missed the second. Tim Duncan came down with an offensive rebound, got fouled, and then missed both free throws - the Suns had about 7 seconds left, Marbury took it all the way down court and hit that amazing FG.

The Celtics were getting whipped by the Pacers up until about the fourth quarter - and then Paul Pierce scored 21 points. He also was 21-for-21 at the free throw line, which is I think an all-time record.

Great stuff, anyways - if you don't watch, understand, or like NBA basketball, try watching a few playoff games. It's worth it.

2. After watching the first few games yesterday and today, I can confidently say that every West playoff team is better than any East playoff team (i.e. I'd take Phoenix over Detroit in a 7 game series). Just the fact that Detroit is a number one seed is in itself laughable. Still think they'd be more legit with Stack, but I can see why they did the Hamilton deal (i.e. signability, cap issues).

Phoenix stole that game last night, but they did own San Antonio in the regular season, so it's not entirely an abberation. I fully expect SA to advance, but they're going to have a lot of trouble dealing with Marbury, Marion and Stoudemire. The matchups aren't in SA's favor, but Duncan is too much of a beast.

3. Yea, I dont understand why the West is SO MUCH BETTER than the East. Its quite frankly embarrassing - for fuck's sake, the #1 seed on the East would be like #6 in the West. Oh well, as long as the Nets make it to the finals again.

4. The West has all the premiere big men in the NBA.

The East doesn't have jack shit.

Um..go Sixers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

5. I enjoy watching a good game of basketball now and then, although it's right above tennis as my second-least-favorite sport to play. Glad to see the Suns pull that win out at the last minute.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

6. The east does suck, I don't even think their #1 seed would qualify in the west. But such is life. The championship game ends in the Western Conference Finals.

7. Iverson just scored 55 against on the Hornets. FIFTY FIVE. Sick. Everyone's playing at a pretty spectacular level right now - although I don't think the East has much of a shot at the finals, I think there's a good chance it could go 6 games. McGrady, Paul Pierce, Iverson, they've all got enough ability to carry a couple of games on their backs.

8. Originally posted by Klonoa
    The West has all the premiere big men in the NBA.

The East doesn't have jack shit.
    Maybe not now, but in 2003-2004, be on the lookout for an explosion from Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry. Krause was a genius.

What a great performance by AI! :whoa:

9. Right... for every Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry in the East, the West just got Yao Ming and Amare Stoudemire.

Face it, the East, barring some big, big trades, are SEVERELY lacking by far in the big men category. The West has Shaq, Duncan, Webber, KG, Nowitzki, Yao, Brand, Olowokandi, Gasol, Amare, Hilario, Rasheed Wallace, etc

The best in the East, comparitively are a bunch of undersized misfits. The best center overall in the East could be Zyundrunas Ilgauskas or Brad Miller (apologies to the offensively challenged Ben Wallace). The best power forward is Jermaine O'Neal. Nice players, but they wouldn't even make Top 5 in the West.

10. Damn, they still play basketball. How's Larry Bird doing this season?