Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Golden Boy Thread

1. GoldenBoy DVD 2 (out of 2) is out now, so go buy it if you haven't !!

Well, me and my friends watched the first DVD over again and watched the second DVD right after it. Right now, I think GoldenBoy stands as my third favorite anime ever, right behind EVA and Bebop. GoldenBoy is overly funny, and has humor and sight gags that are funny every time you watch the show. Each episode is as good as the last, and the dub is perfect.

The cool thing is, there is also a great hidden meaning to the show - one about living life to the fullest, always learning, doing things for others - it really is a deep and meaningful show behind its perverted exterior I'll be reviewing the series for www.tokidokijournal.com soon so check that out if you want more info on the series, if you haven't already been subjected to the GoldenBoy goodness already

I just have one question for you guys...
    "So, how do you like my swimming?"

- Kabuki

2. Originally posted by kabuki
    GoldenBoy DVD 2 (out of 2) is out now, so go buy it if you haven't !!
    If only I weren't strapped for cash right now...

Each episode is as good as the last, and the dub is perfect.
    Very few animes live up to such a claim.

The cool thing is, there is also a great hidden meaning to the show - one about living life to the fullest, always learning, doing things for others - it really is a deep and meaningful show behind its perverted exterior
    Famous saying- "Don't judge a book by its cover". So true, so true.

3. back when LDs were the thing to buy, Goldenboy actually got released for it. i didn't buy it. why ? because it just didn't interest me that much, and frankly speaking for that time, i thought it was retarded looking. fast forward to now and i own the first dvd. one of my top titles of the year at this moment. i must have been a nieve boy on crack to pass it up on LD that first time because i really didn't know what i was missing. i tried to get the 2nd disc the other day, but the best buy i went to didn't have it (or GTO 3). hopefully tomorrow.

4. Well, listening to you guys, I went and got the first vol, and I agree, it was quite funny and clever at the same time, while also providing some nice fan service. Even my girlfriend liked it; so much, that when the second DVD came out, she went and picked it up right away.

Now, no one else seems to think so, but I really found the second vol disappointing. The animation wasn't as good, there was a much greater use of still shots, the writing was worse, the comedy less clever (and many opportunites for over-the-top-ness missed), and the timing was off in a lot of scenese. Now, I'm thinking there was a great deal of self-parody-ing in the final episode, and I appreciate all the subtext, but overall, I thought the 1st volume was alot better.

Oh well.

Deus13 Guest
    I heard a great deal of good things about this series, so when I saw the first volume I picked it up. It lived up to all the that I had heard and then some. This show rules.

6. Originally posted by Apokryphos
    Now, no one else seems to think so, but I really found the second vol disappointing. The animation wasn't as good,
    The race scene in episode 5 had incredible animation. Watch when Kintaro busts those turns as they're going downhill.

there was a much greater use of still shots,
    Which episodes?

Now, I'm thinking there was a great deal of self-parody-ing in the final episode, and I appreciate all the subtext, but overall, I thought the 1st volume was alot better.
    There's no denying that the first episode of GB still remains the best, but the way the final episode manages to tie in all the girls from the previous episodes, tell an original story, and still be off-the-wall funny is an incredible feat in itself.

I think it's the ultimate reward for those that stuck with the series and enjoyed the ride.

7. Still one of my top anime comedies. Benkyo! la la la Benkyo!

8. i wasn't too fond of episode 4, it just seemed to fly right by without me noticing it even played. episode 5 had to be the best episode of the series. action, speed, a busty chick rubbing up on her ride... so, so good!!! episode 6 was also great and was a fitting ending for the series. the worst part though ? it had to end.

one running joke i could do without in the later half was the toilet joke. it was way gross out funny in ep1 and worked again in ep2 (at a slightly lower comedic value) but after seeing it again on the 2nd disc, i just got tired of it and didn't find it to be as gross out hilarious. but despite that gripe... gotta love kintaro oe!

9. Yeah, the whole toilet thing went a bit overboard...

10. I just finished watching the series (bless you Best Buy). I think sometimes it is very funny, but I don't think its very clever or a classic. However, its good hearted, and I couldn't help but cheer on Kintaro in the bike race. That demon anime in the end rocked too.
    Anways, I only watched the sub (checked the dub, which I didn't like), so can anyone tell me what the hell is "freeter"?
    pwned by Ivan