Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Kunoichi // Nightshade

1. I like them... by that I mean the screenshots.

I passed on Shinobi with some regret and don't feel like hunting down a JPS2 copy of it so I'll hope this will be a greatly improved version of that experience.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

2. PS2.IGN has some info about the game:
    E3 2003: Kunoichi - Shinobi

May 08, 2003 - A few weeks following announcement, Sega has at last revealed first screens of Kunoichi, the upcoming action game in development by internal studio Overworks, the production house behind Shinobi. The full Japanese version of the game is, in fact, Kunoichi - Shinobi -, and although stopping short of actually calling it a sequel, Overworks does say it builds upon the experience they gained in making Shinobi.

The development team was apparently nervous when taking the legendary series of Sega old to the PS2 last year. However, many people played the game and gave their feedback on it, so now they have plenty of confidence. The team asks that you anticipate their second next generation action title.

These scans come our way via Japan's Dori Maga. We expect to have more on Kunoichi at E3, although the magazine reveals that the game will be shown only in video form at the show. A December release is expected in Japan. (Source)
    FYI: The scans from Dori Maga are the same ones posted earlier in this thread.

3. Hey Sega/PR:

"A rift to the demon realm has placed Tokyo in great peril" - Again!

"deadly female ninja" - Is there any other kind of female ninja

"charged with the task of collecting the scattered pieces of a legendary weapon" - Wait! A game where you collect things?! How innovative!

BTW folks, I really enjoyed Shinobi and will most likely buy Kunoichi. I just like poking fun at Sega's pathetic PR/Marketing.

4. Games_are_fun has new info... and it turns out Kunoichi is NOT Shinobi II afterall.. it's a spin-off. Hopefully that means Shinobi II is still possible.

Kunoichi Teaser Update

Sega showed off a video that will be premiering to everyone at E3 today of the OverWorks-developed action game, Kunoichi. Despite earlier reports that Kunoichi would be a sequel to the recently-released Shinobi, this isn't the case.

Due out this fall, Kunoichi is a spin-off of sorts that borrows several elements from OverWorks's previous PlayStation 2 game. Similar gameplay mechanics have been included and upgraded; for example, Kunoichi, the heroine clothed in white, can pull off an unlimited number of tates besides normal attacks. OverWorks is making a conscious effort the make Kunoichi easier than Shinobi after receiving complaints, though.

But most interesting is the news that Kunoichi will feature vast, urban environments instead of the linear, plain landscapes of Shinobi. Villains will be military personnel instead of demons.

Kunoichi will be shown in video form at this year's Electronics Entertainment Expo. We'll have impressions soon.
    The only think that sucks is that they are going to make it easier than Shinobi. One of the best things about Shinobi was that the game was challenging - yet very very fair because the gameplay was so tight/solid.

Hopefully there will be different difficulty levels for non-wussies.

5. Sggg, Sega has said they're working on Shinobi 2, and that'll it'll play differently. I'm sure they wanted to get the most out of the Shinobi engine so they came up with this game.
    pwned by Ivan

6. Originally posted by Green
    Sggg, Sega has said they're working on Shinobi 2, and that'll it'll play differently. I'm sure they wanted to get the most out of the Shinobi engine so they came up with this game.
    Yeh, you're surely right... I am just speculating/hoping that they can still make a true sequel one day. Maybe not story-wise... but gameplay wise.

Who knows though, maybe I'll like Kunoichi even more than the great Shinobi.

At least they mentioned TATE will still be in the new game.

7. I wonder what they meant by unlimited tate?
    pwned by Ivan

8. That does not make much sense to me either.

Perhaps they simply mean that sword won't drain your life, or something........

9. But most interesting is the news that Kunoichi will feature vast, urban environments instead of the linear, plain landscapes of Shinobi.
    The sole reason I did not get Shinobi... fixed.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

10. "Shadow Dance"

IGN has a new report:
    May 12, 2003 - SEGA has officially announced the next in the Shinobi series, and we've got some of the first details about the game. Scheduled for release this fall, Kunoichi (working title) takes place after Hotsuma's victory over Hiruko. As Tokyo begins to recover from Hotsuma's epic battle, a new rift between Tokyo and the demon realm opens up. Wanting to take care of the situation as quickly and easily as possible, the Japanese government enlists the aid of Kunoichi, a female ninja with martial and mystical arts experience. And so the game begins.

Developed once again by Overworks, Kunoichi will feature an enhanced and improved combat system that will have all-new attacks, and also allows for a greater depth of moves. The improved "Tate" system will also aid in this, giving gamers the ability to perform unlimited combos. Lastly, a new "Chakra Gauge" will give Kunoichi magical abilities, and performing multiple dashes around opponents will unleash the "Shadow Dance." As long as its nothing like a River Dance, it sounds good to us.

The only other detail we know about the game now is that the game's environments will include rooftops, construction sites, industrial factories, moving trains, and flying jet planes. With the list of improvements and additions to the game, it's probable that Kunoichi may be the best Shinobi game yet. Let's just hope it's a little easier this time around.

Check back IGN for more details and hands-on impressions of Kunoichi as E3 commences.
    Very interesting. I have some concern about the gameplay, but it honestly sounds great. I am just concerned because Shinobi's gameplay was so tight and so perfect. But by the same logic there is every reason to believe Overworks can do it again!