Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 414161718

Thread: Your Top 5 RPGs Of All Time

1. 1- Tengai Makyō/Far East of Eden II Manjimaru [Nec PC Engine SUPER CD ROM²]
    2- Chrono Trigger [Superfamicom]
    3- Dragon Quest VI -Maboroshi no Daichi- [Superfamicom]
    4- Phantasy Star II -Kaerazaru Toki no Owari ni- [Megadrive]
    5- Shin Megami Tensei II [Superfamicom]

2. It's NOT my own bias. They were popular, that doesn't make it ground breaking. Citizen Kane has no relevence on todays society and it's still considered groundbreaking.

I've asked you what it did and all you said was that you couldn't articulate why it was how it was, which just isn't good enough for me to adopt this theory.

I've stated above that I don't believe that there are many, if that, moments in gaming that qualify as being groundbreaking. But if I had to choose I would pick when the Emporer comes around in FF3, only to be brutally murdered by Kefka, and all of his associates. The last chance for innocence in their world was in, was shattered in by the chaos of evil (represented in the world of ruin). That's good writing. Kefka wasn't perfect, infact his quest for world destruction eventually caused himself to fall victim to that fate. This effected everyone in the whole entire game, not just your party. Kids died, people died, people were lost, the world was in shambles and your team was completely caputt... leaving you on your own to find them once again.

Or how about in Final Fantasy Tactics when you see the good guys actually fail at their tasks. Not many movies would do that, for the sake of a story conclusion that people would readily except, yet they did it.

None of the above games were popular with the mainstream too much (maybe they are) but that isn't the reason I'm basing any of it on.

That's why I asked for an example from you, an example like I gave above, two examples. I'm going to need something more then: "It's popular so therefore it's groundbreaking!". I want to understand where you're coming from on this, but you're giving me nothing.

BTW, no scene has impacted the world at all. Videogames are not trendsetters and have yet to be.

Originally posted by Werewolf I can't believe everytime someone mentions they like Final Fantasy VII (or even VIII for that matter, but to a lesser degree) that people always have to throw in the same crap... you don't like it fine, but some of us do so just accept it and stop the flaming crap cause it's f*&#ing lame
    It's actually the other way aroumd. I even asked him what he meant and he couldn't seem to accept the fact that what he was saying was all opinion, trying to pass it off as fact. groundbreaking is a subjective term to begin with. He can have his opinion, but he shouldn't act like some pompous jackass (not you) because someone else doesn't have the same regard for a scene as he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. 1: Morrowind - I started playing it again for a bit and it's just as good as when I left it.
    2: Planetscape: Torment
    3: Star Ocean 2
    4: Final Fantasy 6
    5: Neverwinter Nights OR Shining Force 2. I can't choose.
    o_O

Originally posted by bakayaro
    1- Tengai Makyō/Far East of Eden II Manjimaru [Nec PC Engine SUPER CD ROM²]
    2- Chrono Trigger [Superfamicom]
    3- Dragon Quest VI -Maboroshi no Daichi- [Superfamicom]
    4- Phantasy Star II -Kaerazaru Toki no Owari ni- [Megadrive]
    5- Shin Megami Tensei II [Superfamicom]
    Calling games and systems by their Japanese nmes makes you cool.

P.S. I hate you.

5. Hey, anyone who owns the Jap version of an already translated RPG is welcome in my animeclub/treehouse/circlejerk

6. Originally posted by bakayaro
    1- Tengai Makyō/Far East of Eden II Manjimaru [Nec PC Engine SUPER CD ROM²]
    Then you must know they are remaking this on both the GameCube and Playstation 2, looks pretty good

http://www.the-magicbox.com/game070803f.htm

They are also coming out with a third game in this series which is also on both GameCube and Playstation 2

http://www.the-magicbox.com/game070803e.htm

And what do we have here... one of the characters in Tengai Makyou III Namida, they got my attention
    Attached Images Attached Images