Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noir - Some of my recent impressions

1. Noir - Some of my recent impressions

Well, I finally received the whole set earlier this week, and so far had time to watch first 4 episodes if this new action drama Anime series.

So, Here are some of my thoughts, after watching those.

Lets talk about storyline first. Even though it deals with usual girls with guns, and hitmen for hire themes, its got some interesting twists. Set mostly in Europe, it has a quite distinct feel from most of the other Anime. From what I seen so far it deals with female assassin, who one day gets a strange email, with music file that leads her to strange japanese school girl, with dark secret of her own. She had no memory of her past life, but extremely trained to kill and really good at that. So they join each other on their quest to find out the mystery of the past, as deadly asassin only know as NOIR.

Well, I wish it had a bigger budget, since animation is lacking in certain scenes. But it doesnt really affect your enjoyment of the show. It does have some great character designs, and I like the sets, which are different from usual Japanese locations. Action scenes range from exciting shootouts to sometims boring fights. What is really surprising is total lack of blood, even in the most har action scenes, bad guys die in dozens but never bleed. Still it mostly a good fun.

I liked th music themes, both during the action, and in the other moments.

All in all, its a good action drama show, sometimes excting, sometims little boring, but good. It will be coming to US, sometimes this year, but I'm not sure on the specific date. But if you interested in it now, you can either get HK 3 disk set from AS, which is cheaper, but has awful subs, or get 13 eps set from MI, which is much better but only half of the series, but second set coming very soon.

2. I really hated this show... I cant belive all this BS hype its getting.. This show sucks plain and simple.. Its boring as hell, and plot goes nowhere..

one day their japan, the next in europe.... gah..my hate for this show...

3. Originally posted by maruchan
    I really hated this show... I cant belive all this BS hype its getting.. This show sucks plain and simple.. Its boring as hell, and plot goes nowhere..

one day their japan, the next in europe.... gah..my hate for this show...
    AMEN!!! damn finally some1 that think that this series just sux ass, at least the music is great

I post some comments from the series in the old board, the story don’t make sense at all, and the only character I care about was kill later in the series

4. Hmm, I didnt find it that boring, but again I wished they had a better budget, and left the blood where it belongs, aka action scenes

I will still watch the rest of the series, so I can make my judgement after finishing it, unless I do get bored of it.

5. Ya know...some people think Evangelion is pretentious and nonsensical.

Some people classify all Hong Kong films under chop socky flix.

And yes, some people think that only the lowest of the lowliest could find solace in DBZ.

I dont.

I do think however that the most jaded "Anime fans" are the ones who dont feel the need to wait and or purchase shows since its easier to download them first. And the lack of any kind of anticipation or built up excitement causes you to go into most shows with either way too high or way too low expectations.
    (I realize some, prefer the HK bootlegs over the download,btw)
    Maybe NOIR does suck..and it is boring,but I doubt it.

I also doubt any of you really care for (or are big fans of) old school French New Wave Cinema (which the creators of Noir were inspired by), which unlike most American (and even to an extent Asian) Films isnt all slam-bang-boom straight story happy ending.

But maybe you are right...ill see this Summer.

lee v

Offline for the next 6hrs.....watching wholesome Japerneese Cartoons.

6. Originally posted by lee vicious
    Ya know...some people think Evangelion is pretentious and nonsensical.

Some people classify all Hong Kong films under chop socky flix.

And yes, some people think that only the lowest of the lowliest could find solace in DBZ.

I dont.

I do think however that the most jaded "Anime fans" are the ones who dont feel the need to wait and or purchase shows since its easier to download them first. And the lack of any kind of anticipation or built up excitement causes you to go into most shows with either way too high or way too low expectations.
    (I realize some, prefer the HK bootlegs over the download,btw)
    Maybe NOIR does suck..and it is boring,but I doubt it.

I also doubt any of you really care for (or are big fans of) old school French New Wave Cinema (which the creators of Noir were inspired by), which unlike most American (and even to an extent Asian) Films isnt all slam-bang-boom straight story happy ending.

But maybe you are right...ill see this Summer.

lee v

Offline for the next 6hrs.....watching wholesome Japerneese Cartoons.

Pleae do not compare a show like evangelion to Noir....
    but Sorry, but no one knew this shit show was gonna get published. so i hered wow this show is so cool, this show is great. So i download it, see it. and fell alspeel. i kept saying to my self, it will get better, forceing myself to see it.. After getting no where i said fuck it.. never watched the shit again..

I like French New Wave movies, but i dont know where you got the idea that this show has french new wave infulence cause it dosnet. They tried it as gimmik it to get people to watch, and in the end created a shit show.

7. Most every write up of this shows seems to think IT IS in fact very influenced by French New Wave films with a lil of Luc Besson thrown in for good measure.

And I dont remember ever comparing Eva to Noir.

I wouldnt compare Eva to anything ever created in ANY MEDIUM. Theres isnt a bigger Evangelion whore on these boards (for sure) and perhaps the Solar then me. You can talk to Riisuke,Dyomides,Kenshin or BioMech about that.

lee

8. Noir sucks. I can't tell that it was inspired by anything. I've seen 9 episodes and the only character development I've seen is when the older girl was scared to death of fighting the Italian assassin chick. Both of the girls have no personality whatsoever. Oh, gee, they're gonna kill each other at the end of the show. Wee, those Soldats morons are after them. Hey look the girls are killing people. Yay. What the hell does Soldats do anyway? They just keep reciting that dumb chant at the beginning of each and every episode, and then you see that "mysterious" guy being "mysterious" in a "mysterious" manner at some point in each episode. There's very little plot development in the 9 eps I saw. Even Eva had plot development that early on. What the hell? And I hear they're making a Noir 2?! Jeez.

It's popcorn anime for otaku who like fan service and girls with guns. Give me classic Dirty Pair any day of the week over this tripe....

Originally posted by lee vicious
    And I dont remember ever comparing Eva to Noir.
    There is no comparison. One of the greatest anime series ever created vs Jiffy Pop. Right.

I wouldnt compare Eva to anything ever created in ANY MEDIUM. Theres isnt a bigger Evangelion whore on these boards (for sure) and perhaps the Solar then me. You can talk to Riisuke,Dyomides,Kenshin or BioMech about that.
    Sir, I dispute that assertion. ^_^

BTW, those of you who actually like Noir -- ADV confirmed it at Anime Central. It's being fasttracked, so burn your bootlegs.

9. So i download it, see it. and fell alspeel. i kept saying to my self, it will get better, forceing myself to see it.. After getting no where i said fuck it.. never watched the shit again..
    you too, I keep saying the same thing "It will get better" but never happen. I saw the entire series and THANK GOOD I DL, because if I will buy it I will be crying my eyes out for my $30

Yay. What the hell does Soldats do anyway? They just keep reciting that dumb chant at the beginning of each and every episode, and then you see that "mysterious" guy being "mysterious" in a "mysterious" manner at some point in each episode
    ahhhh... is not a guy is a woman

10. Hmm, So its pretty much being hated around here

Its getting nothing but high praises on some other Anime boards What a difference.