Microsoft certainly aims to go for a renewed shock value with a refined outlook for Xbox Live. Last year, MS boldly established their commitment to delivering a solid portfolio of entertaining online games They made promises to deliver and proclaimed that Xbox is here to stay. Now, Microsoft’s statement is to demonstrate to the gaming market that they’re in games business to make a difference. In it to lead.

In the next 12 months, Xbox will launch the most ambitious line-up including a series of original blockbuster hits and highly anticipated titles including <i>Project Gotham Racing 2</i>, <i>Brute Force</i>, <i>Counter Strike</i> and yes – <i>Halo 2</i>. We weren’t able to capture the entire essence of the conference on film due to the explicit instructions from the big M (they did however say that we could film up to the first 60 seconds – what good is that?) However, there’s quite a lot to be impressed with overall. Microsoft kicked off their presentation with a brief trailer showcasing the highly awaited installment Doom 3 (so much for you pessimists thinking it was coming sooner than later…) It’s unconfirmed if the engine was running on Xbox hardware, boasting the trademark intensity, tons of particle effects and is bound to please hardcore <I>Doom</I> fans. We’ll certainly hope to unveil some additional details as E3 unfolds.

Though this was just a taste of things to come.

Later, the program kicked into a frenzied showcase of games that you’ll be playing over the next several months. In no particular order, we got glimpses of <i>Republic Commando</i>, <i>Sonic Heroes</i>, <i>Ninja Gaiden</i>, an all-new <i>Tenchu</i> title, <i>Simpsons: Hit and Run</i>, <i>Voodoo Vince</i>, <i>Sega GT Online</i>, <i>Kameo: Elements of Power</i> and much, much more.

We also got our first look at what Rare’s been up to, and suffice it to say – we were somewhat underwhelmed (at first). The presentation led many to speculate that a new <i>Conker</i> platform title was going to be introduced. Instead, it turned out to be <I>Grabbed by the Ghoulies</I>, the first exclusive release for Xbox. Essentially the title is a chaotic beat-em up game starring a young kid name Cooper who beats the living snot out of various monsters and such who’ve captured his girlfriend. Yawn. It’s unlikely anyone will truly get a wet dream from sitting down with this one. So where’s Conker? On the horizon thankfully in the form of a new team-based shooter focused on story-driven scenarios. We’re hoping this game is playable on the showroom floor to report hands-on impressions later this week when E3 officially unfolds.

Xbox Live isn’t the only direction which Microsoft is aiming for. We briefly got a taste of the digital entertainment lifestyle which will give users the chance to expand the horizons of the Xbox. The Music Mixer is a new product in which aspiring VJ’s will be able to combine the essence of music, video, and video games to create your own unique music collections. And if that’s not your cup your of tea, the Music Mixer will also offer karaoke. Sweet...but you won't catching me picking up the mic anytime soon.

Oddly, we didn’t receive any new information regarding the Xbox Live’s new price structure. Nor was their any mentions of a price drop in case any fence-sitters were eagerly hoping for a more affordable retail price. Bummer.

To conclude the presentation, Bungie’s Joe Staten shocked the audience with an in-game demo of <i>Halo 2</i>! We were shown the first level of the highly-anticipated sequel in action as Staten maneuvered through the complex with precision and style. The player can now use two guns at once and even use enemy vehicles which Staten took by force. Impressed? You bet. We want more and next year couldn’t come sooner.

Overall, the event reinforced their commitment to the online network. And although we will have to wait for some titles longer than we like, it’s definitely going to be a enjoyable season to log on, get connected and enjoy what gaming is all about. We'll be back with hands-on impressions of the Xbox lineup all this week.