Thread: lord of the rings vs the oscars

1. lord of the rings vs the oscars

I'm still a little mad that this film got all nominations but never won the best picture award. They always pull this when it comes to movies that will either be a trilogy, or they just don't go for anything that's not on Ebert's "recommended" list of thumbs-up films (he likes Woody Allen and any film with some boob in it)
    I'm going to laugh at the sales of home video this year after Beautiful mind and LOTR comes out, who's gonna make more money tells you which film is going to get the most respect from the fans, so the oscars can chew on that!

Whoopie Goldberg needs to be locked in the crazy house btw...
    don't wanna tangle with you, I'd rather tangle with him.
    I think I'm gonna bash his head in...

2. I was dissapointed as well. It deserved an Oscar. I also hated that Peter Jackson, didnt get one for the film as well. To bring LOTR to the screen is tremendous task, and he was able to pull it through, and it was good too. He really deserved it. Plus I like him more as a director, than Howard anyway

Well, Maybe this year the will give it to them

3. When are people going to realize that the Oscars are a farce, a vehicle designed to promote blockbuster hits. Sure they throw in a obscure movie every now and then to try and bolster their credability. I'll never get over Christian Bale not getting an Oscar for American Psycho. Don't put stock in the Oscars, there are tons of lesser known awards that actually identify good work. I suggest you check them out.

SC

4. Independence Day and Jurassic Park 2 made a lot of money, guess that means they should have gotten the Oscar that year too, eh?

Have you seen Gosford Park and the other nominations for Best Picture this year?

5. Gosford Park was a second best to LotR foo. I liked the music in Gosford more though :/ (Belive it or not).

It's Great - It remeinds me of the days when I used to watch Mystery on PBS with Vincent Price (he's in my OWN Hall of Fame, amongst such lofty figures as Arnold, Dolf Lundgrin, Henry Rollins, Tim Burton, Yuji Naka, Tetsua Mitzoguhi, John Carmack, Vintersorg, Winona Ryder (shut the fuck up), Steve McQueen, Boris whatshisname the Fantasy Painter, Motoi Sakuraba, Hansi Kursch, Jon Schaffer and the very talented James Earl Jones).

ºTracer
    o_O

6. Originally posted by spacecowboy
    When are people going to realize that the Oscars are a farce, a vehicle designed to promote blockbuster hits. Sure they throw in a obscure movie every now and then to try and bolster their credability. I'll never get over Christian Bale not getting an Oscar for American Psycho. Don't put stock in the Oscars, there are tons of lesser known awards that actually identify good work. I suggest you check them out.

SC
    Oscars are generally awarded to obscure artsy films, not blockbusters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

7. Originally posted by TracerBullet
    Boris whatshisname the Fantasy Painter
    Vallejo. And he's just a cheap Frank Frazetta wanna-be. If you like Boris' work, I implore you to check out Frank's.

8. Ten years from now, will anyone want to see A Beautiful Mind? I didn't think Lotr would get the Oscar because its part of a trilogy; still, of all the films nominated this year, Lotr will be the one that people see decades from now. It would have been nice for it to have gotten the Oscar, but I only say nice because I feel the Oscars aren't that credible. Still, I like how this years show was handled, it seemed oddly dignified for an award show.

9. I never read the books, so I can't know how the movie compares, and to make one thing clear, I am not dismissing the impact the books had on all forms of media, or judging the books, but...

... I dl the movie off Kazaa. I thought the LOTR movie was boring as hell, even keeping in mind that the book probably originated the many seeming cliches, I still just can't pretend I enjoyed it. It was ok, but not something that would get me interested in reading the books, or something I'd watch again in the next year...