Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3567

Thread: Your top five formats of all time

1. Originally posted by Shin Johnpv
    I took a shit yesterday that was better than the Sega CD............................................

But it didnt make my list
    That's too bad...

I wouldn't put Sega CD as top 5 platform, but it did see light to many many great games, such as:

Lunar 1/2
    Popful Mail
    Dark Wizard
    Battlecorps
    Soulstar
    Shining Force CD
    Snatcher
    Eternal Champions CD
    Sonic CD
    Heart of the Alien
    Final Fight CD
    Fatal Fury Special

2. Yay, Frostwolf EX for including N64!

1) Gameboy Advance- I'd sell everything else before i sold my Gameboy. It has a huge amount of games that i love, all the way back to the original Gameboy and i can hold the thing in my hands and take it anywhere. Granted, my hands are probably horribly malformed from growing up with it, but now i can cradle the GBA SP just right. Now that i can light up the screen without a nasty glare and fold it into a tiny box, it goes up a hundred times. Simple games and a simple system for a simple mind, i guess.

2) PS2- I can't deny that my favorite rpg series have moved onto the PSX and then the PS2. If it weren't for FFX, Breat of Fire Dragon Quarter and BoF IV, Tales of Eternia, Megaman Legends 2, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Silhouette Mirage, Um Jammer Lammy, and Gitaroo Man, it wouldn't even be on my list, but those are already a bunch of games. Then there are the ones i just like, and there are a lot of those too.

3) N64- It's a tough choice between the N64, Saturn, and Gamecube, but Majora's Mask just barely pulls the N64 to the front. It's a tough little system. The only thing hurting it is the ridiculous price of cartridges. Paper Mario, Ogre Battle 64, Zelda: OoT, Mischief Makers, Wave Race, Sin and Punishment, Mario 64, and the original Smash Bros. are all great.

4) Gamecube- It's cute and it has fun games. I've probably put more time into Super Smash Bros. Melee than any other non-rpg. The visuals of Zelda the Windwaker are my favorite of any videogame and only my second favorite in the series to Majora's Mask. Mario Sunshine, at its time, was the most fun i'd had with a game for a while. Metroid Prime did the impossible and made me like a first-person game. Mr. Driller: Drill Land is my second favorite looking game ever and has my favorite music EVAR.

5) Saturn- Poor Saturn. It looks tough enough, and it has a nice cd-player set-up thing, but it's also kind of clunky and i always have the fear that it's going to break next time i turn it on. The games are what matters, i suppose. Nights alone is better than any Sonic game, for me. Then there are the Capcom fighters, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, Shining in the Holy Ark, Burning Rangers, Gaurdian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, and Princess Crown, which all really do it for me.

NES - Everyone knows this one, even my mother, who referred to every gaming system I played, as a Nintendo. There's no denying the impact of this system. So many classics, this is the system to beat.

Saturn - Lots of fighters and shooters, home to Radiant Silvergun, and many classic SNK translations.

Dreamcast - Poor DC, why did you have to go? Obviously, one of my fav systems ever.

NeoGeo - Home of one of my favorite fighting series, King of Fighters 2-D forever!

Playstation - Made gaming "easy-access" and "cool" for adults. Brought me lots and lots of hits ( we'll let the poor design out of our heads for a moment ). I remember when I got Street Fighter Alpha, or even Ridge Racer. Grand Turismo. SOTN. Too many hits to name.
    Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    SNK is like an abusive boyfriend; he keeps hitting me, and I want to leave him, but then I think about the good times we have together and keep telling myself I'll give him just one more chance to change.

4. (no order)

PC Engine- Brilliant, and not overrated in the slightest.

Jap PSone- Home to some of the weirdest and greatest imports around, seasoned with a bunch of great shooters.

JAMMA- Couldn't beat it with a stick.

SNES/Super Famicom- So many great games.

Saturn- While not "the greatest 2D/shooter console ever like everyone likes to say, there's still a ton of great games on offer.

5. Yoshi, thanks for the clarification.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

6. yoshi,if you want, i can expand on why i picked gc and box.
    the gc,as i said, has the library that fits me the best. yeah,i know that the ps2 has more games, but i am interested in less of them than on the gc, honestly i can say that wind waker blows away everything i have seen on the ps2, animal crossing had my attention for as long as a good pso bender, the gc had the first version of pso ep2, which got me back into it for a while,smash bros melee is the best multi player fighter i have played,more strategic than powerstone, deeper in terms of both items and moves than kung fu chaos,and faster then godzilla. Ps2 may well have some great games, but not for me.

x-box,this system seems to have the most coherent online out look,yeah ps2 has an online outlook ,but live is more coherent. Plus the sega games on the box are the seriesthat i care the most about. I also like how a good number of box games are very open ended. fable,unless it gets horribly boggled,will be the kind of game i have dreamed of for quite some time, a REAL role player, not a j-rpg with cliched plots and a story line that i barely impact at all. Also i realy love custom soundtracks,i am infamous for getting sick of a game's sound track and just putting on my headphones,the box lets me hear the on screen action,while still being able to hear the crappy music that i like
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

7. Originally posted by BenT
    Yes, but the NES did most of those things first.

I was more experienced by the time 16-bit rolled around -- I knew what to expect, and was harder to surprise. So I don't think 16-bit had as much impact on me as a gamer.

I played the shit out of C-64, so by the time NES arrived, most of the titles were nothing new to me. Standouts like Punch-Out!!!, Zelda, Super Mario and Final Fantasy, made the system worth owning, but by comparison, the C-64 with over 10,000 titles spoiled me long before the NES. Still, I could'nt vote any 8-bit system as being my top 5.

8. Here are the must haves that make the lineup for me, multiplatforms have been kept out because they're a plus to all consoles, thus cancel each other out. Unless they did something for me that I really liked. I also tried to limit it to games I've played or are looking forward to within the year:

Sony
    ======================

PSone
    ---------
    Final Fantasy 7
    Final Fantasy 9
    Final Fantasy: Origins
    Final Fantasy: Chronicles
    Final Fantasy: Anthology
    Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
    Xenogears
    Metal Gear Solid
    Chrono Cross
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Gran Turismo
    Twisted Metal 2
    Vagrant Story

PS2
    ---------
    Dynasty Warriors 3
    Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth
    Grand Theft Auto 3
    MGS 2: Sons of Liberty
    ICO
    Dark Cloud 2
    Kingdom Hearts
    Devil May Cry
    Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
    Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Not a bad listing of must haves for the Sony brand of consoles. Actually, a really good list. But think how many games are published for the system is ratio to this list for me. It's a good system, and thus why it's on my listing, but it's not that far above that of the Gamecube, which I will now compile:

Nintendo Gamecube with GBA player
    ======================

GBA
    ---------
    Super Metroid
    Advance Wars
    Golden Sun
    Metroid Fusion
    Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance
    Breath of Fire
    Breath of Fire 2
    Bionic Commando
    Bubble Bobble
    Donkey Kong Country
    Dragon Warrior 1 & 2
    Earthworm Jim
    F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
    Fire Pro Wrestling
    Kirby's Tilt'n Tumble
    Klonoa: Empire of Dreams
    Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX
    Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
    Mario Kart: Super Circuit
    Mega Man Battle Network
    Ninja Gaiden
    Pantasy Star Collection
    Rampage
    Sonic Advance
    Sonic Advance 2
    Super Mario Advance
    Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
    Super Monkey Ball Jr.
    Wario Land 2
    Wario Land 3
    Wario Land 4

I would add pokemon, but I'm not a huge fan. I also kept the upcoming games off the list that I want such as Mario and Luigi, Mario and Donkey Kong, River City Ransom EX and Double Dragon, or Fire Emblem. This list is bigger than that of the PSone and 2's combined. I did put Tactics on there though, but I kept off Golden Sun: The Lost Age. I'm not sure if that's even dropped yet. Onto the 'Cube!

Gamecube
    ----------
    Resident Evil remake
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
    Pikmin
    Super Mario Sunshine
    The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
    Star Fox Adventures
    Luigi's Mansion
    Sega Soccer Slam
    Soul Caliber 2
    Metroid Prime
    Ikaruga
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ()
    Super Smash Brothers: Melee

I'll be the first to admit that Gamecubes lineup always seems to be better in the coming year, for some reason. But the system does have a lot of good to it, and it's future (listed below), coupled with its GBA connectivity and present, make it one of my selections. Don't count the following on the list, because they can't be since they're not actually on the system yet.

Viewtiful Joe
    Wario World
    Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
    Pikmin 2
    F-Zero GX
    Geist
    Giftpia
    Harvest Moon: It's a Wonderful Life
    Killer 7
    Mario 128
    Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
    Pilot Wings
    Final Fantasy: Chrystal Chronicles
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Too Human
    Eternal Darkness 2
    Super Monkey Ball 2

I was contemplating putting the Harvest Moon: It's A Wonderful Life on the PS2 list, but the n64 version of the game is far better. Gameplay/Mechanics > Graphics for me, which is another thing that would make somebodies list change, depending on taste. I also only picked games that made a huge impact for me to buy or enjoy the system. (I don't own a GBA, but I have friends who do and abuse this friendship liberty to its fullest). So while I may love Bomberman Generations, it isn't the kind of game that will rattle me enough to put it on there as a 'must-have' sort of game.

Also, feel free to question me about games I may have missed, or why I chose one game on a system over another. (Resident Evil remake, or Tactics on BOTH) I'm not above giving my selections a thoroughly shake-out, like most would. I think more people should back up their claims around here, to be honest. (speaking strictly of userbase, not staff)

Sorry it took me a bit longer to make the list, just busier today.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

I never even thought about including the GB Player functionality with the GameCube. Using that rationale, you could easily make a case for it in the Top 5.

Good show.

10. LOL, that listing was for nothing then! I said that in my original post.... I think...
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."