Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Your top five formats of all time

1. Your top five formats of all time

If you aren't sick of em lisitng threads already, here's a new one for you.

Rules

1. Any arcade board/portable/ or console can be considered a format for this threads purpose.
    2. Backward compatibility and peripherals can be considered as advantages of a particular format. For example, the GBA player can be considered as a plus point for the GCN.
    3. Try to rank systems according to the quality of lineups, not their nostalgia value.
    4. Try to give some reasons. Just to make the thread more interesting.

Can we list computers or would the PC screw things up by spanning several generations?

#1- The Sega Dreamcast/ Naomi Arcade Board: Short lived, yes, but it had an AMAZING lineup of games for such a short lifespan. Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia. Sword of the Berserk, Project Justice, Jet Grind Radio, Space Channel 5, Marvel vs. Capcom, SOnic Adventure, the list goes on and on. The system has sooooooo many classics

#2- Sony Playstation 2/PSX: Backward compatability= +10000. The Ps2 has a very good lineup so far, and the PSX has soo many epics (Xenogears, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Rival Schools, Final Fantasy 7, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, etc.), so this is an automatic #2!

#3- Sega Saturn/Model 2/ Model 3: Panzer Dragoon Saga, Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, Guardian Heroes, Shining Force 3, Sega Rally, Nights... int Dreams, Burning Rangers... need I say more?!?

#4- Super Nintendo: Another amazing lineup, Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Final Fantasy 3/6, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc.

#5- Gamboy/Color/Advance: 2d powerhouse. So many great handheld classics

#6 is Genesis... very close
    http://images.southparkstudios.com/i...news/1632a.gif

CRAB PEOPLE!!!! CRAB PEOPLE!!!! TASTE LIKE CRAB, TALK LIKE PEOPLE!!!

4. And what about emulation? DC can play perfect NES and SMS games. Can we count the entire NES and SMS libraries as a + for DC? Xbox plays alot more than that, and PC even more still.

5. Neo: I guess you can list home computers like the C64 and Vic 20, but not the main PC format as a whole. It's unfair, as it's a whole section of gaming by itself.

Chibi- Emulation doesn't count. The XB would easily be everyones #1 then.

6. 1. SNES
    2. Genesis
    3. Commodore Amiga
    4. NES
    5. Playstation
    Right, because if anything validates the existance of a handheld piece of shit, it's taking those shitty handheld games and placing them on a screen big enough so that the inherent flaws of the software is visible to all humans. Including Ray Charles.

7. 1. Nomad
    2. Saturn
    3. Xbox
    4. DC
    5. SNES
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

8. 1.Super Nintendo - I think this was when I enjoyed gaming the most, seemed like there was always something new and exciting on the system. It was also the only system that i actually completely wore down the controllers from playing so much. The games have aged insanely well for me and I still play it all the time. Hell I still see games all the time at work that I wanted to pick up back in the day and finally am now, seems like the library is never ending for me.

2.CPS, CSP2, CPS3 - This wonderful series of arcade boards brought upon this world the Street Fighter series. Honestly thats all that needs to be said.

3.PSX - I wasn't too into this generation when it was new, but much like the SNES I keep finding cheap games that are actually not to bad. It seems you can always find the hidden gems of a system long after its dead. Seems im always finding some 9.99 or 14.99 title used thats actually pretty good. It has a great diversity to it too, wide choice of games.

4.Gamecube, GBA - So what you want about both of these systems, but for me i was kinda slowly phasing out of gaming. That is untill these two systems came out. The GBA brought back that old school feel in gaming i enjoyed during the SNES days which got me hooked into gaming again, and the GC just reeled me back in. I love the design of the system both looks and hardware wise, and the tiny discs kick much ass. Metroid Prime, Zelda WW, Eternal Darkness, some of the best gaming of this generation and the games that have me back full force into gaming.

5.PC/Neo Geo - This is a tie here and ill explain why for both systems. The Neo just has soo many fantastic fighters on it, and not to mention one of the best shooters ever blazing star. While im not much of a PC gamer today i can not deny the fun i had with it back in the day. Sierra and Lucas Arts made the PC so much fun for me, The Leisure Suit Larry series, Quest for Glory, Kings Quest, Maniac Mansion and Day of the tentacle, just to name a few. Then you had that great surge of FPS and finally the king of them all Half Life.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

1. Genesis / Sega CD / 32X - I will never spend that much time with a system again.
    2. Neo Geo - Best great to bad game ratio ever.
    3. PlayStation 2 w/ PSone library - Quantity and quality.
    4. NES - For reviving the market.
    5. SNES - Not as great as many think but great.

10. 1. Genesis/ Sega CD

The ultimate action system. Shinobi, Contra, Gunstar, Strider, Alien Soldier, Target Earth, Twinkle Tales, Rolling Thunder, GnG, Mercs and Castlevania are some of the best action games of all time.

It also happens to the home of the best beat em ups and mascot plattformers of all time. The original Sonic will always be my favorite plattformer of all time.

And it's no slouch at shooters and action RPGs either.

PS2
    [thumbnail]http://mgcf.free.fr/course/virtuel/gta3/gta3_911gt3_front_640x480.jpg[/thumbnail]

The backward compatibility gives it one of the most expansive lineups ever. GTA3, SoTN, Ridge Racer 4, Raiden, Valkrie Profile, Suikoden, Persona, Wipeout, Maximo, Ape Escape, Oddworld and tons of others rock my world.

This is a strong candidate for #1, but I believe that the Genesis covers my favorite genres better.

3. SNES

: Nintendos best console, IMO. The Nintendo software is fantastic, and so is almost everything from Capcom and Konami.

Alot of my favorite games had never made it to the States, but I've played many of those great SFC imports via emulation.

Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World, Zelda, Cybernator, Castlevania 4, Super G n G, Earthbound, SMT, Seiken Denetsu, Umi Hara Kawase, Go Go Ackman and the Megaman games are all great.

4.Saturn

NIGHTS, Burning Rangers, Sega Rally, Virtua Cop, Battle Garrega, Panzer Dragoon, Strikers 1945, Games Paradise, Batsugun, Soukygurentai

5Dreamcast

[thumbnail]http://sega.gamerweb.com/news/0400/jsr/js50.jpg[/thumbnail]
    Shenmue 2, JGR, Sonic Adventure, Chu Chu Rocket, Gunbird, Zero Gunner, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Rez, Grandia 2.