Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: OMFG! Evangelion live action movie! update 7/1- The budget!

1. OMFG! Evangelion live action movie! update 7/1- The budget!

http://www.animeondvd.com/press/advfilms/adv074.php

Now, I'm suspicious about any live action anime movies being made. DBZ, Akira, Battle Angel Alita have all been rumored but I won't beleive it till I see any official announcements from the studios. This looks like the real deal here, though. What has me the most excited about all this is Weta. Holy fucking christ, Weta is the greatest effects shop ever! An Eva movie with the resources that LOTR had...it's just too good to be true. The thing is, Weta is at work on finishing Return of the King, and they'll still be at work till next year when the RotK expanded dvd comes out. Then they have to get Peter Jackson's King Kong movie ready for the 2005 release date. My worries is that if this movie is for real, they're gonna have a small b-team of Weta guys working on it. Then again, if Weta is fully behind it

ps, yeah, I know a movie is more than special effects. The director, budget, script and cast will be more important, I'm just thinking this movie has a damn good start if Weta is behind it.
    pwned by Ivan

2. If special effects were all it took for a movie to be great, the Final Fantasy movie would have been the greatest story ever told... is it?

I'm really, really sceptical that a EVA live action movie can be pulled off well. Sure, the mecha action can be CGed no problem, but that's hardly the focus of the series.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

3. Did you read my ps?
    pwned by Ivan

4. Yes... did you see the Final Fantasy movie?

Special effects don't mean anything unless there's something to back them up. Maybe I'm biased, but I don't see how you can turn EVA into a decent live action movie while staying anywhere near the original anime. I wonder if the main characters will still even be fourteen year olds... I doubt it.
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

5. You- special effects aren't everything.
    Me- special effects aren't everything.
    pwned by Ivan

6. I wonder if PenPen will be a live penguin or a CG penguin. They better not skimp, I wanna see a real penguin.

P.S. - ADV is great and all, but I think they may be getting ahead of themselves just a tab bit with this project. Whatever happens, it better be good and not tarnish the EVA namesake.

7. Originally posted by kabuki
    I wonder if PenPen will be a live penguin or a CG penguin. They better not skimp, I wanna see a real penguin.

P.S. - ADV is great and all, but I think they may be getting ahead of themselves just a tab bit with this project. Whatever happens, it better be good and not tarnish the EVA namesake.
    I'm thinking this'll end up like the live action Gundam, since it seems ADV is heading it up. Anno + full blown Weta support + 100 mill + shooting in Japan could result in something incredible. My gut feeling is saying that's not how it'll happen, though.

And yeah, they damn well better get PenPen right. Screw the mechs, I want a photo-realistic penguin!
    pwned by Ivan

8. I doubt PenPen will even be in it. He only appears marginally in the 26 episode series. There's no time to squeeze him into a movie.

I'd say the only way this could be good if it were 100% CG and with a really, really solid script. Considering ADV's last true production was SIN and also considering the awful nature of any time their dub script isn't a literal translation, I don't really see that happening.

9. PenPen could make a small cameo, or just maybe be in the background for a second. Or maybe they'll rewrite the story radically and make PenPen the star and the baddies giant robot fishes PenPen has to take down in his penguin mech. Who knows, I don't want to get ahead of myself. I sent the news to Harry at AICN, maybe he'll look into this sense he's a LOTR (and thus Weta) geek.
    pwned by Ivan

10. I dunno what to think... I think I'll not think until the movie is in theatres or dvd or whatever :] (But deep down inside, I want it to rox)
    -Myk