Page 1 of 10 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official TNL MMA/K-1 Thread

1. The Official TNL MMA/K-1 Thread

I know 99.1% of TNL has no clue what I'm talking about here, but there are a few MMA marks hanging around the boards, so...

Heath Herring?!?! This is completely out of left field. The big rumor has been a summer rematch between Mirko and Ernesto Hoost, but I really didn't think Filipovic would do another PRIDE match before continuing to ride the K-1 tidal wave since KOing Sapp.

KO win for Mirko. If Herring tries his usual flashy crap at the start of the fight, its lights out for him right there.

Predictions? Thoughts? PaCrappa and Master, I DEMAND you give your input.

-Tech

I was hoping for a video.

3. Re: Heath Herring Vs. Mirko "cro Cop" Filipovic, Pride 26

Originally posted by Technosphile
    I know 99.1% of TNL has no clue what I'm talking about here, but there are a few MMA marks hanging around the boards, so...

Heath Herring?!?! This is completely out of left field. The big rumor has been a summer rematch between Mirko and Ernesto Hoost, but I really didn't think Filipovic would do another PRIDE match before continuing to ride the K-1 tidal wave since KOing Sapp.

KO win for Mirko. If Herring tries his usual flashy crap at the start of the fight, its lights out for him right there.

Predictions? Thoughts? PaCrappa and Master, I DEMAND you give your input.

-Tech
    A) Heath has great ground control and not too shabby takedowns. His standup wouldn't even win in a bar brawl, but he put in the effort. I'd say if CroCop has room to punch, this fight is over. If Heath gets good ground control, the fight is his. By the way, what is the weight difference between these two? Any special rules consideration if CroCop is much lighter? If he takes away knees on the ground, I don't see Herring as getting very far towards an on the ground TKO.

B) Make this the official TNL MMA thread, and we can live here forever.

PS: For your sake, lets hope CroCop has been practicing his sprawls.

PPS: AMC Pankration RULES. Did full-on submission sparring last night and loved it. Good times.

Originally posted by 88mph
    I was hoping for a video.
    Check out the great Highlight videos here and here.

That should whet your whistle and give newbs to MMA a feel for what we are talking about.

4. Originally posted by Master
    By the way, what is the weight difference between these two? Any special rules consideration if CroCop is much lighter?
    Herring's got about 40 lbs on Cro Cop. I'm pretty sure they're using normal PRIDE rules.

5. Here is the rest of the official card for the next Pride:

Mark Coleman vs Don Frye (I'm gonna say Frye will win, but I want Coleman to as he's a good guy)

Fedor Emelianenko vs Kazuyuki Fujita (Fedor will wipe the floor with him)

Antonio Schembri vs Kazuhiro Hamanaka (I would have to say Hamanaka because he will take this fight very seriously and avenge the loss of Sak)

Heath Herring vs Mirko Filipovic (Could go either way. At the same weight I would say CroCop no contest, but I have no prediction as of now)

Quinton Jackson vs Mikhail Illoukhine (Rampage. He beats everyone. And yes, he would beat Sak if they fought now.)

Alistair Overeem vs Ricardo Arona (Tough choice. I gotta go Overeem by KO, but It should be interesting)

6. How do you guys watch these fights? Sattelite dish and an eyepatch? Bar? Actually paying for it all? Because what little I've seen of Pride has been extremely cool, but the only access I have is through a pegleg having friend...
    -Kyo

7. Mostly through vidcaps people post online, recaps on message boards like www.sherdog.com or waiting for the videos/DVDs as I don't have cable, but if there were a friend of mine that HAD cable, he should order it so I can watch it.

*hint*

I'll pitch in.

8. Heath Herring vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic:
    Mirko has indeed worked on his sprawls. Master, the next time we see each other, we'll watch Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye 2002 and you can witness just how far Mirko has come with his wrestling ability. I'm sure you know, but that night he fought Kazuyuki Fujita, one of the world's finest wrestlers. Every time Fujita attempted to shoot, Mirko countered with a GORGEOUS sprawl and proceeded to unload kneebombs on Fujita's dome. Herring takes stupid risks to get the fans riled up--Mirko is smarter than he is. I don't see this fight ending in anything BUT a KO.

The rest of PRIDE 26:

Don Frye vs. Mark Coleman:
    A UFC rematch in PRIDE, years later. Frye is a decent fighter but I haven't seen him do anything recently to restore my confidence in him. However, there is no way Coleman will make it until the end of the fight, the guy has never had any stamina...I don't know how it will end, but I'm going with Coleman.

Emelianeko Fedor vs. Kazuyuki Fujita:
    Fedor can't KO or sub a guy who you can't do either to. Fujita is really underrated and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he wins this. The safe bet is Fedor by DEC, but my personal pick is the same for Fujita.

"Elvis" Schembri vs. Kazuhiro Hamanaka:
    Hamanaka must be the cat seen hanging out with Sakuraba in the latest issue of Kakutougi Tsushin. Being that I know nothing about him, I can't call this.

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Mikhail Iloukhine:
    Wow...an ex-RINGS stiff vs. the meanest mother in PRIDE. Jackson will rip this guy's head off. Then when he finally gets his shot at Silva, he'll kill him too.

Alistair Overeem vs. Ricardo Arona:
    Good god Arona is a bore. Every fight of his is a snoozer. I know next to nothing about Overeem, but I hear good things. Another fight I can't call.

Master, I'm sure AMC is cool, but its a matter of principle. Between the monster that is Bob Sapp and Josh Barnett's "deer caught in headlights" act after being busted, I'd rather not know the availability of 'roids around that place. If its right for you and Pa then fine, but I'm steering clear.

-Tech

9. Originally posted by StriderKyo
    How do you guys watch these fights? Sattelite dish and an eyepatch? Bar? Actually paying for it all? Because what little I've seen of Pride has been extremely cool, but the only access I have is through a pegleg having friend...
    Kazaa.

If I could find a bar around here that gets PRIDE and UFC I'd be all over it.

10. I haven't kept track of MMA since January... Mostly due to the fact that I work nights on weekends. I'm out of the loop a little.

A Japanese market near me records PRIDE off Japanese TV nd puts it out for rent two weeks later. Unfortunately its hard to rent since they only put one copy out and its often rented out after its released.

I'm planning on going to Vegas in August to watch K-1. Unfortunately its only the USA semi-finals, but it should still be fun.