Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Official "The Scorpion King" Thread

1. The Official "The Scorpion King" Thread

Just curious for those who are fans of The Rock and The Mummy films. Impressions? Complaints. Discuss...

2. fuckin' scorpion king was the mad dopeness! i enjoyed every minute of that movie; but mainly because the rock was in it. if it was some other actor, it would still have been good, but not as special.

i thought the action was great, and the humor was pretty well done. there were a few things i would have done differently. one would be to have a more menacing looking bad guy. that guy was totally no match for the rock. it would have been cool to have some big-ass mofo go up against the rock, and then have the rock lay the smack down on him. that would have given the scorpion king more bad-ass status.

another thing i would change would be to make it campy. i know the rock wanted to shy away from his character on wwf to give more character to the scorpion king, but it would have been great for him to rock bottom someone, and then say "know your role, jabroni!"

all in all, great fun movie. go see it if you haven't.

ps - yes, kelly hu's awesome looking in the movie. she barely has anything on throughout the whole movie. i've been fawning over her ever since i saw her in martial law.

3. Originally posted by Nash
    fuckin' scorpion king was the mad dopeness! i enjoyed every minute of that movie; but mainly because the rock was in it. if it was some other actor, it would still have been good, but not as special.

i thought the action was great, and the humor was pretty well done. there were a few things i would have done differently. one would be to have a more menacing looking bad guy. that guy was totally no match for the rock. it would have been cool to have some big-ass mofo go up against the rock, and then have the rock lay the smack down on him. that would have given the scorpion king more bad-ass status.

another thing i would change would be to make it campy. i know the rock wanted to shy away from his character on wwf to give more character to the scorpion king, but it would have been great for him to rock bottom someone, and then say "know your role, jabroni!"

all in all, great fun movie. go see it if you haven't.

ps - yes, kelly hu's awesome looking in the movie. she barely has anything on throughout the whole movie. i've been fawning over her ever since i saw her in martial law.

I agreed with much of what you said with the exception of the campiness. After seeing so much of how the producer of Xena/Hercules dealt with the concept...I would've probably hated TSK if the campiness was on that same level. In fact, I think it's easily going to be one of the biggest stereotypes to detract many from seeing it.

"The Rock is in it? There's no way it can be a truly good action movie - it MUST be campy."

I think that the level of humor and action was very balanced, and it was good to see The Rock in another atmosphere outside of the ring. His acting was much better than I expected.

And words can not describe Ms. Hu's hotteness level (yes, the extra T is intentional). My friend and I commented on that very appealing fact that she barely wore anything throughout the entire film. Quite provactive...I definitely want to see it again.

4. yeah, i know for the sake of the overall success of the movie, they had to stay away from the campiness; but for my own personal enjoyment, the campier the better.

so bahn, how was the audience reaction? i went on opening night, and it was pretty packed. the audience was going crazy every time the rock did something (especially the girls when he raised the people's eyebrow during the harem scene). it was a great outting. my friends even brought signs saying "go dwayne!" it was nerdy, but still pretty funny.

5. I didn't catch it opening day (wanted to, but my friend didn't show up as I expected). I went Saturday, but it was packed. The crowd was actually a mellow audience, which actually was great, cuz there were lots of kids there, and I was worried they'd be spending more time wailing then watching.

But when the action got tough, they were cheering - in fact...they were literally giving The Rock a standing ovation in the final minutes of the movie. I found that a nice touch. The humor was like I said, well done, so naturally everyone was laughing and stuff. Really good atmosphere both on screen and off. Definitely will be seeing it again!

*thumbs up*

Saw it Sat and even though I am a Rock fan I wasn't expecting much but thought it was fun and better paced than the Mummy. I don't why every Movie has like this has to have a comic relief sidekick or little buddy too much of a cliche for me. Full house on a Sat afternoon show when I went. No standing ovation last time that happened was at the Flinstones Movie.

Some good trailers like the Sum of All Fears and this one about Dragon type crestures in England oh man I forget the name looks good though.

Bahn this Movie board is cool!

Korian

7. Originally posted by Korian

Some good trailers like the Sum of All Fears and this one about Dragon type crestures in England oh man I forget the name looks good though.

Korian
    that dragon movie is called "reign of fire."

8. Originally posted by Nash

that dragon movie is called "reign of fire."
    Hm...anyone wanna place bets that a certain developer is making a game on it ?

9. Well, I'm looking forward seeing it this weekend. I liked both Mummy films, and I'm a fan of sword & sorcery films, so it will be a treat. The Rock is also pretty cool, and Kelly is hot

10. I think this best sums up my thoughts on the Scorpion King:

Movie for white trash only.
    by: oinker_school_kid (69/M) 04/22/02 09:09 am
    rating:
    If you live in a trailer park, wear a Ted Nugent tee shirt, or have a number 8 or 3 in your pickup truck window you will probably like this one. For the rest of you educated people RUN. The only reason I went is because I promised to take my brothers kids to see it while he is in jail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SC