Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sakura Wars

1. Sakura Wars

Caught the first episode [gotta love the free eps. on the Newtype discs] and found it to be rather entertaining...

I haven't played any of the games so I cannot comment on its authenticity, unfortunately. Hopefully some one else can comment on this. [Christ, I need a DC mod.]

Anyway, the first ep. set up the basic story rather well, and the show in general is pretty comical. Sakura is quite likable, but the other characters haven't had much screen time just yet.

Anyone out there find themselves pursuing this series?

2. I plan to check this out soon. Hopefully it'll be there the next time I cruise the rental shop.

You should really check out the new OVAs based on the third game with the girls from Paris. It's pretty good.

3. That's the Sakura Taisen TV series right? The OAV series takes place in the same world as the games and is a little hard to watch without having played them while the TV is retelling so it's different from the games and can be watched without having played them.

I honestly didn't like the TV series when I first watched it, but I plan on giving it another shot when it comes to DVD.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

4. Yes, I'm referring to "Sakura Wars TV." How many series are there?

5. In addition to the TV series, there's 3 OAV series. The first has four episodes and takes place before/during the first game, the second has six and are stories taking place in the first two games, while the third series is still being released with the first one being about Sumire's retirement and and the rest about the Paris Kagekidan. The first two series are available on DVD here, the third will be eventually from Funimation.

Like Ammadeau said..I dunno how much enjoyment you'd derive out of watching the OAVs without the games. The TV changes some things from the first game's story and isn't that great IMO, but it has some fun moments. I dig the ending theme too.

6. The first OAV series takes place all before the games so can be enjoyed by itself, but the second OAV series is especially hard because there are unexplained elements not only from the games, but from a radio play, a novel, and at least three musicals. Pretty shocked that it was released in the US at all. I'd say the second series can still be enjoyed without playing the games, but the level of enjoyment would certainly be less.

The Sumire retirement isn't a part of the third OAV series. It's a stand alone, though Funmation will be including it with the third series when they release it. (Yay!)
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

7. It'll be hard to fully enjoy the Sumire retirement since it also doubled as a sendoff to her voice actor. If you aren't a fan of her or you simply don't care about the character you'll be better off skipping it since it's 30 minutes of weeping.

8. Checked this out today. Too dramatic, totally downplays the humor and suffers because of it. Sakura is weepfest city, and the rest of the cast is icecold to the point that they're unlikable. And Kanna isn't there(big redhead muscle chick shown in the intro)? WTF?

The video quality is horrendous. I have SP(lowest-level) recorded tapes that look better than this.

Hopefully it'll get better in later volumes, but right now I'm not digging it.

9. I was worried about the lack of humor in the first ep. Sounds like my worries were justified. I guess I won't be buying the rest of this series, though the first dvd did come with a reall nice box. I guess I can use it to store the ST PS2 games instead.

10. Yeah, that is one nice looking box.

So the verdict is skip the TV series, buy the OVA box set ($30 for all 10 OVAs!) ??