Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony appreciation thread

1. Sony appreciation thread

Often criticised by those who are totally ignorant (or just trying to be l33t), Sony are easily the premiere first party and to dismiss them is beyond idiotic. Games such as XI-GO, Ape Escape 2, ICO, Ore no Ryouri, Minna no Golf 3, Gacharoku, Fantavision, PaRappa, Omega Boost, Gran Turismo, Gunners Heaven, Hermie Hopperhead, Otostaz etc are all quality. I can't wait for Mojib Ribbon as well.

When it comes to hardware they cannot be question either. The PSone Ridge Racer from the start showed it was a capable machine, far superior to the N64. The PS2 continues to show untapped potential with Silent Hill 3 and I have no doubt that FFXII will push the boundaries further.

So post about your favourite Sony games, please no trolling from people bitching about their knackered PSX or that Sony killed their beloved Nintendo/Sega/cat/dog.

Ore no Ryouri

A clear case of Sony's innovation and the best ever use of analogue control. This is a cooking game in which you prepare the food. As the customers fill the restaurant, select their order then prepare it using the analogue sticks To chop the meat, move the knife along and press down on the analogue stick for the knife to come down. Think of the sticks as representations of your hands. To stir something simply rotate the analogue stick. Push down on the analogue stick to squirt some sauce into a burger. There's all sorts of different dishes and nine different restaurants. Every now and then a mishap will happen which you have to deal with or lose all your customers. These include having to phone up the police because a drunkard has invaded the place (use the analogue stick to dial on one of those old phones), cockroaches that have to be stamped on (control your foot with the stick then press down to stamp on them!), running after a thief who has run off without paying (use both sticks to run after him by constatly doing up down motions) and many more. I've barely scratched the surface here but suffice to say, it's a wonderful game.

2. Well, Sony simply PUBLISHED many of the games you mentioned. I think the innovation is more due to the developers of those games than Sony. Anyways, my favorite Sony game would have to be... Ico.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

3. Originally posted by Jeremy
    Well, Sony simply PUBLISHED many of the games you mentioned. I think the innovation is more due to the developers of those games than Sony. Anyways, my favorite Sony game would have to be... Ico.
    No, they are all SONY games be it in house or by studios owned or funded by Sony. Get the fuck out of my topic if you have nothing to contribute.

4. Hermie Hopperhead was developed by Yukes, which was NOT a Sony in-house studio.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

Well, Sucker Punch developed the best "next gen" platformer thus far, Sly Cooper. Saying "Sony are easily the premiere first party" is nothing short of assinine, but they have been improving greatly with each generation of their PS2 releases.

6. Vib Ribbon
    Hermie Hopperhead
    Mickey Mania
    Philosoma
    Wipeout (psygnosis= liverpool studio, right?)
    Colony Wars
    Dark Cloud 2
    Moji Ribbon
    Parrapa the Rapper
    ICO
    Dark Cloud 2
    Arc the Lad
    Frequency
    Amplitude
    Ape Escape
    Devil Dice

All of those games are great.

7. Originally posted by Jeremy
    Hermie Hopperhead was developed by Yukes, which was NOT a Sony in-house studio.
    Are you deliberately being dense? On ignore you go.

Can't believe I forgot Vib Ribbon >_<

8. Sidez, what the fuck? You said EVERY game you mentioned was developed by an in-house studio, or by Sony themselves. HH wasn't, and it was an example you cited. Sony's done a great job with quality control on the PS2 so far. They're much more selective with what they will allow their name to be associated with, which has done wonders for them.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

9. Re: Sony appreciation thread

Originally posted by Sidez
    Sony are easily the premiere first party and to dismiss them is beyond idiotic.
    If you're insinuating that Sony is better than Nintendo than I think you'd better lay off the bong for a couple of days. Or months.

They are pretty damn good though, and deserve more credit than they get from whiney hardcore internet fanboys.

10. Oh yeah, and the Adventures of Sir Lomax was also great. And didn't they publish Moto Toon Grandprix?

Final Fantasy Tactics and the Raiden Project were published by them, so I guess that those games might also count as Sony titles.

Sony's done a great job with quality control on the PS2 so far.
    Sonys 32 bit software was superior to what they are doing now. Success has led to complacency on their part.