Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I've decided to write a book

1. So I've decided to write a book

It's something I've always wanted to do but was just to lazy to get started. Now I'm not the best of writers, so I was wandering if any of you English majors could give me some tips. I've got some pretty good ideas but when it comes to writing it down, I can never think of the perfect thing to put. I'm not expecting to get it published(maybe someday), its just something I want to do for myself and try to become a better writer.

2. Well, I'm not an English major, but I'll give whatever advice I can.
    1. Make an outline of your book, map out a rough sketch of it either in your head, or in some physical form, wheter it be on paper or in a computer document.
    2. Don't worry about making it "perfect", as long as you're happy with it, cool.
    3. Trying making an e-book first. There are some nice e-book freeware programs out there. I use Natata eBook Compiler, which is freeware, and it's fantastic. It's easy to use, and gives you a nice idea as to what kind of info to have in your book.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

3. Buy "The Elements of Style" by Will Strunk, read it four times in a row, and don't ever listen to Jeremy.

Here are a couple of links to get you started.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/m...ore&userid=936

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

4. I have some advice too:
    01. Don't listen to any of Jeremy's writing advice.

This should serve you well. I wish you luck.

Shit, you beat me to it.
    My advice was going to be to ignore Jeremy's advice.

LOL Guest
    I will also give the advice of ignoring anything Jeremy ever says regarding the use of words.

7. I'm working on something now.

I think the only advice is to be yourself and write what you feel.

After that, it's all gravy.

8. Originally posted by MVS
    I'm working on something now.

I think the only advice is to be yourself and write what you feel.

After that, it's all gravy.
    And you forgot don't listen to Jeremy.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

9. dude
    that's like
    Don't fuck a chick with AIDS without a rubber
    I think people know that already

from a chat :/

10. Let me make sure I get this. So I shouldn't listen to Jeremy, is that what you're trying to tell me?