Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3567

Thread: Sega making a Halo killer?

1. Zombie Revenge wasn't bad. It had great play mechanics and everything. The only thing that brought it down was it's control and game flow. Otherwise it was a pretty good game. Tons of wepaon variety, move variety, challenge, cool enemies and bosses etc.

2. Originally posted by Captain Canuck
    They don't need to make a GT killer sicne just about every racing game they made is better. NFL2k is better than Madden in quite a few ways, but I think Madden is better as well. Sega kills EA in Hockey, baseball, Basketball, just about every other sports game though.
    Too bad your opinion doesn't mean jack shit to Sega's bottom line. It's kinda hard to claim NFL2k and Sega GT are Madden and Gran Turismo killers when they sold like crap.

3. Originally posted by Frogacuda
    Let's jsut say it's as unlikely as an American team is to oust Championship Manager.
    Or a European team either, for that matter.

I dread to think of what would happen if a US team got their hands on CM. They'd probably quarter the database, take out the tactics and put some pretty match graphics in there.
    BTFJ

4. Sega's a very conservative company in their game designs and such.

Bungie and Valve aren't, which is why they recieve critical acclaim in a genre that loves liberal servings of story and gameplay. Even something like a Phantasy Star and Panzer Dragoon are more conservative in the way they play.

I'm not saying Sega can't do it, I'm just saying that they haven't proven in any of their other games that they can. I think some movies are in order, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. Bungie and Valve aren't, which is why they recieve critical acclaim in a genre that loves liberal servings of story and gameplay.
    How is Halo liberal?

6. liberal as in a whole lot of something. - "liberal servings of pudding".

The story & action in Halo are often over the top. The beginning of the "Silent Cartographer" level was an awe inspiring moment for me, as well as others. I think that is what he is trying to say.

7. Yes, that was what I saying.

The style and polish in both titles is remarkable, they give you over the top action and such. Segas games are innovative but very controlling and tight.

The best way to understand conservative and liberal in game design is to simplify it down to a model of a space ship.

A liberal designer will allow you to roam underneath the space beneath the space ship, and will allow you to go in to the jets because they're off and such whereas a conservative designer would make the space ship look awesome, but wouldn't allow you to go under it or in the thrusters and such (I mean the place where the fire comes out the back) like there are invisible walls blocking you from exploring.

This is really good for rail shooters (Rez) but in other games it doesn't work as well. (Shenmue)

I hope this helps, if it just confuses you then ignore this post. If it doesn't confuse you then ignore this post as well.

BTW, it's not a dig at Sega in anyway. It's just a different style that lends itself better to one genre over another.
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. Andrew:

The thing about Sega’s conservatism is that many of their designers believe that what made games good 15 years ago will continue to work even to this day. Super Monkey Ball, Shinobi, Virtua Fighter 4, Rez, Sonic Advance 2, Panzer Orta excel for the same reasons as games like Space Harrier, Outrun, and Fantasy Zone did back in the day.

Much of Sega’s lineup are variations on the basic arcade design philosophy of the 80s. Many of them are score based games that are simple and easy to play for beginners and as deep as the ocean for those who are skilled at them. And at the same time, they also happen to be the most innovative developer in the business.

Back in the day, there was a lot less categorizing of games into genres, so there was a much larger variety of videogames. Nowadays, the market structure forces developers to pigeon hole their games in to the generally accepted genres, as there is a risk averse culture among publishers.

This has it’s pros and cons…. The former being that if someone develops something new and revolutionary, and it plays well it will result in many copy cat titles being released to follow the new market standard. The disadvantage is that if the new market model is a turd, tons of developers will mimic it.

GTA3 is probably an example of the former, while Gran Turismo is an example of the latter. The GT series has really fucked up the racing genre, by being the market leader for all of these years. Even Namco is forced to make a ‘realistic’ racer now=\

Likewise, modern first person shooters were detrimental to the genre IMO. Older games were focused more on enemy attack patterns and memorization, much like how 16 bit action games were made. Newer games pay no respect to level design at all, instead they focus on AI.

I like many modern FPS( Half Life, Undying, NOLF), but I personally find older stuff like Duke Nukem to be a lot more interesting.

And don’t get me wrong….. console gaming is as good today as ever was IMO.

9. I know. I'm not saying conservative companies can't be great, because Sega has some pretty solid games and philosophies. I'm just pointing out the difference.

Maybe they will do something really great and blow open the FPS genre. I hope it happens, because it's always interesting to see new merge with old. I think Halflifes level design was a bit bland in some areas, but some of it was remarkable. (the cliffs, the city fighting with guards camped in various positions, and some in sporadic).

The good thing about the FPS genre is that there is space for both. You can have a game like Doom, Serious Sam and Halflife, Quake in it with each of them giving different experiences.