Thread: Color Theory

1. Color Theory

Well, I've had some extra time to practice coloring again. Problem was...nothing I had in my sketchbooks felt like PhotoShop material. So, I found a b&w artwork from saka (check out the site - kapolo.syste.ms) and played around.

This is definately a change from how I'm used to coloring. Most of it experimenting with brushes, and trying to incorporate what I've learned in my classes for color application.

And so:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	playwiththis2d.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	273.3 KB 
ID:	1784  
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

2. Heh, I expected to come into this thread and see you talking and Munsell's color wheel, tertiary colors, or something like that. Anyway, that looks pretty good, I like the highlights in her hair. The source material is a bit off though, her hand looks screwed up.

3. the reason of the title does have to do with color theory though. ^^

I tried applying what I had learned about color. For example, temperature, intensity, and lightness of a color are what dictates a color. Objects in direct light normally have hotter, more vivid, lighter tones than when that same object is in shadow. Then it gets cooler, darker, etc.

4. i like it. I think the nose could use some work and be something other than a line, but it keeps with the anime feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. It's a very good start.

I really like the shadows.

Only things I'd critique would be the the outfit, the black with umber highlights doesn't look that right.

I'd probably recolor it all. If you'd like a little help (I don't know how familar you are with PhotoShop), I can show you a kick-ass way to convert a black and white image into workable pixel areas (basically, erasing the background without having to erase it).

6. The highlights would have been better purple, only cause it is the same as her hair.

looks like the chick from harry potter.
    your mom

7. also, remember that the linework isn't mine. It's from kapolo.syste.ms

/me is always worried when using someone else's work for colors. Doesn't want to come off as looking like he did everything.

It was a pretty quick and dirty color, by using multiply layer on the lineart and then throwing out colors on their own layers underneath. Normally I like taking a different approach.

Blaine~I'd like to hear how that's done.