Thread: Underground/Alternative game designers

1. Underground/Alternative game designers

In regards to many underground, alternative, non-mainstream, or "artsy" musical artists, its difficult to track down their records. Most mall music stores don't carry much of the underground stuff due to its fringe audiences.

The same, I assume, holds true for gaming. I know that there is are underground game designers, yet mostly from heresay. I am having a difficult time finding much info on them, let alone on ways to get their efforts.

Does anyone know of any good resounces for fringe developers?

2. That's an awesome sig, man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

3. You can find a lot of underground developers by checking out cheaper engines (cheap as in affordable for normal people). While many never come to light there are some "Garage-programmers" out there still.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

4. PomPom, independent developer from the UK. Well worth a visit and download.

5. Check out the entries from the Independent Games Festival. A lot of the stuff is quite brilliant. Shattered Galaxy, which won like two years ago, is easily the best designed MMORPG (actually its more of an MMORTS/RPG, but I diguress) out there. Bad Milk, which won last year, is a brilliant concept, and the gameplay is fun. Pencil Whipped is the most bizarre FPS Ive ever played, but it is also brilliant, just needs some TLC to be really great.

6. The IGF is a great source of a lot of smaller developers.

Every year though it seems like they get bigger, budgets of over $50,000 on some of these games.

I can see spending money on a game, even that much, but once you start spending around $100,000 it sorta loses it's charm.

7. I'm surprised people still like Pencil Whipped. The sprites were cute. That game play was crap... At least last time I tried it.

8. nippon.shootemups.da.ru

Freeware shootemups. Check out Ziet Formula, Perfect Cherry Blossom, Cho Ren Sha 68K,Crimson Blade, N0iz20, Xadlak Plus, R rootage, and Genocide circuit 1.

And don't the various romhacking groups count as underground developers? Do a search on Aeon Genesis and Demiforce. Their lineups are excellent.

And be sure to google SONIC FAN MADE GAMES HQ. Great Sonic related stuff over there.

9. Warning Forever is a cool freeware shooter.