Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foreign / Independent Films

1. Foreign / Independent Films

I was just wondering what people's favourite foreign / independent films are? (i.e. not hollywood / blockbuster type films.)

I could name quite a lot, but here are a few to start ...

Wings of Desire
    Amélie
    Auberge Espagnole
    Run Lola Run
    But I'm a Cheerleader

2. Oh, boy. Most of my favorite movies are foreign (naturally, since America is just one country). Looking at my IMDB vote history, my top foreign movies apparently are:

Playtime
    Stalker
    Amarcord (I Remember)
    Baisers volés (Stolen Kisses)
    Ladri di biciclette (The Bicycle Thief)
    Mon oncle (My Uncle)
    Offret (The Sacrifice)
    La Strada (The Road)

The highest movie in my list that comes even close to being independent is Adaptation, but even then, I think most people confuse independent movies with movies that just have downplayed marketing (Adaptation, for example, is not an independent movie). Most of the independent movies I've seen are complete shit, and don't deserve to rise out of their local movie circuits.

3. Amelie
    Danton
    Amarcord
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

4. Amelie is excellent, as is City of Lost Children. recent foriegn films i've liked are y tu mama tambien and Talk to her. favorite foreign director is probably Bergman.

Philip Noyce is a hot independent director right now. The quiet american is good stuff and i've heard great things about rabbit proof fences. my favorite independent director at the moment is Linklater.

5. THAT'S the movie I keep forgetting to rent. I would love to watch Rabbit Proof Fence.

6. foreign flicks I dug:

El Mariachi (better than Desperado)
    Run Lola Run
    Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms
    Mystery of Chess Boxing
    Hard Boiled
    Fist of Legend (American title to a HK Jet Li flick)
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

7. Xeno, Fist of Legend is its original HK title

I've seen and like alot of foreign films: HK, Japan, Korean, France, Russian, etc.

But I'm more into action, martial arts, horror, crime, and sometimes drama, than art type of cinema.

Still, I enjoyed City of Lost Children and Ameli quite a bit.

8. My favourite is Fucking Åmål (aka "Show me love"). I have not seen Lukas Moodysson's other films but I really really want to.

A few others:
    Wings of desire
    Run Lola Run
    La double vie de Véronique
    Amélie
    Abre los ojos

I am bad at remembering film titles.

9. I haven't seen a lot of those mentioned. I've heard good things about Habla con Ella (Talk to Her). A friend of mine is really into Almodóvar, the director. I saw Todo sobre mi madre (All About my Mother) which was directed by the same guy. It was very interesting.

I highly recommend L'Auberge Espagnole (Potluck) ... it's still in theatres, I think. I enjoyed it a lot. And it has Audrey Tatou in it from Amélie (small role). I really like her, she's very cute.

10. I find that indie films, especially those from other countries, offer more in the way of intelligence and class. Take for instance, Dead Alive.
    pwned by Ivan