Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Co-existence of three

Co-existence of three

I don't know the sales figures for the Gamecube and Xbox but neither seems to be failing Saturn-style. Even though the PS2 is way in the lead, is it safe to say that this era is the closest the console industry has come to having three successful systems simultaneously? Discuss.

2. Sounds about right to me.

I do believe this discussion is tapped out. Not much more to talk about.

3. The Xbox isn't successful, as it's not profitable for Microsoft. They can afford to take the loss, but I still wouldn't call the Xbox a successful system in that regard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2480001.stm

For the first time Microsoft is revealing how much money it is losing on its Xbox game console.

Documents filed with the US financial watchdog show that Microsoft's Home and Entertainment division, which includes the Xbox, lost $177m (£112m) in the three months to 30 September.

Since the Xbox was launched Microsoft has been forced to cut its price twice to boost sales.

The documents also reveal that four of the seven divisions of the company are operating at a loss.

In the quarter ending 30 September, Microsoft's Home and Entertainment division reported revenues of $505m.

It lost $177m, up from a loss of $68m in the same period in 2001. This loss is by far the largest of Microsoft's unprofitable divisions.

4. Originally posted by Mamoscott
    The Xbox isn't successful, as it's not profitable for Microsoft. They can afford to take the loss, but I still wouldn't call the Xbox a successful system in that regard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2480001.stm

5. Originally posted by Andy
    Feel free to provide some information on how the Xbox is successful.

News flash: the ultimate objective of these companies is to make money!

6. The Xbox is successful in the sense that it has helped make many gamers happy with the games on it. We all know the goal of companies is to make money, that doesn't mean we, as gamers, should let that interfere with how much fun we're having. When I'm playing an Xbox game, I'm usually not giving half a shit about the system's sales, or how much it costs to make each system. I'm too busy focusing on having fun with the games on it.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

7. If that's the case Jeremy, the Saturn would be considered a successful system (plenty of awesome games to be played on it). I think this thread is measuring success in terms of $$$, not if it's a fun system or not.

8. Originally posted by Jeremy
    The Xbox is successful in the sense that it has helped make many gamers happy with the games on it. We all know the goal of companies is to make money, that doesn't mean we, as gamers, should let that interfere with how much fun we're having. When I'm playing an Xbox game, I'm usually not giving half a shit about the system's sales, or how much it costs to make each system. I'm too busy focusing on having fun with the games on it.
    I guess every console ever created is successful in your eyes then. :jest:

9. Originally posted by Mamoscott
    Feel free to provide some information on how the Xbox is successful.
    Simple enough, it has Steel Battalion.

10. Since people would rather come up with retarded "lol the Xbox has Steel Battalion" answers instead of putting their dozen or so brain cells to use for a minute, I'll try and answer Neozeedeater's question as best I can. I don't think that the game industry in its current state can support three successful consoles simultaneously.

As already evidenced by this thread, everyone has different ideas of what makes a successful system, but since this is a gaming INDUSTRY that is run by BUSINESSES looking to PROFIT, I tend to look at the financial aspect of things when deciding on whether or not a system is successful.

Microsoft is still losing shitloads of money in the gaming industry, but that's something that they're willing to do in order to gain a foothold in the industry. Were they successful in gaining market share? Of course, though it was pretty much a given that they'd obtain at least a small part of the console pie. Do I consider the Xbox a successful system for Microsoft financially? Not at all. It's a veritable money pit.

The industry isn't supporting three successful consoles at this time. If it was, all three companies would be making money off their respective systems. Microsoft has been reporting massive Xbox-related losses in their quarterly reports, losses that are offset by profits from Microsoft's computer software sales.