Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it just me, or do fansubs suck? +FLCL question

1. Originally posted by Mecha71
    i hate those little explanation too
    They are a must for complex shows that are heavy on terminology. HnG for instance would be difficult to follow witout them. I love 'em and I wish that more "professional" companies would use them.

2. Originally posted by Triple Lei
    Gee, I thought the FLCL fansub was great! There's no way anyone can understand everything, and when it's a different language, all the harder.
    The FLCL DVDs in Japan already had English subtitles in them, so it's not like they had to strain a brain muscle to get it right.
    If my memory of her has an expiration date, let it be 10,000 years.

3. I like the explanations, they work well whenever i've seen them (His and Her Circumstances and Excell Saga). Or when they are included as an extra on the DVD like the Kenshin DVDs. i've never really come across a fansub that was glaringly amateurish either. I appriciate thier work, it's a ton better than the HK subbed dvds. So i just don't see what you're talking about

4. I love when people complain about something when they havent payed a penny for it.
    First of all, wouldent it be better to have a explaination about something that can technically only be said in Japanese then have something made up or dumbed down just for the sake of trying to find the closest meaning to it in English? If it was a joke then wouldent you much rather understand why it was funny, regardless of if a little reading is involved, then not have it changed and be not as funny. Or worse still, not there at all.

Heres a great example of why u cant nessesarily change something from japanese 100% of the time.

In Scrapped Princess, Pacifca calls her foster brother and sister Shannon-ni, and Raquel-ne. These are used on the end of names to represent onisan and onesan, which means Brother and sister. Now if the fansubber wanted to do it all in english then he might have to translate it as, brotherShannon, and SisterRaquel. In the long run, this would cause WAY more reading time for the viewer....
    Of course, the fansubbers arent fucking retards like you so think they are, so instead of wasting my time, your time, and everyone elses time, they spent about 5 seconds to explain why.
    Of course you may not like it like that, but hey, this is the internet, you can complain about anything. Not that you need to have paid for it, help fansub, or even know Japanese, but whatever.