Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me, or do fansubs suck? +FLCL question

1. Is it just me, or do fansubs suck? +FLCL question

Every time I download a fansubbed show, I can almost see the smarmy little nerds typing up the subtitles. You know the type, the archetypical anime nerd that uses the word baka and so forth.

Just painfully irritating. There are constantly little explanations at the top of the screen for what various things mean, and some actually use Japanese words within the subtitles, assuming some prior knowledge of the language. Granted, most people that are downloading fansubs know what baka means, but it's still fucking irritating. This stuff actually heavily degrades the experience of watching the shows. Even good fansubs, like those for the Ghost In The Shell show, still have the goddamn explanations. Have you ever seen an explanation pop up at the top of the screen on a DVD? No, because they understand that the explanation is to be integrated within the subtitle, and that the human eye can't possibly read two different subtitles (placed on opposite ends of the screen, no less) within the tiny amount of time they are present on screen.

And to segue this rant into a question: How good are the subtitles, or even the dub, on the FLCL DVD? I just downloaded a fansub of the first episode to check it out (inspiring the rant), and it was in-fucking-comprehensible. Explanations popping up every few seconds, sometimes two at once. Did they do a good job of carrying over the large amount of lingual subtleties, especially within the comic book sequence in the first episode? I can tell I should really be enjoying this show, but I just could not get into it with this shoddy subbing job.
    God is Rome

2. I think you're crazy...

I've never had any trouble reading the little explainations, and I find them good and informative.

Maybe you need to read more.

3. First things first, FLCL is a crazy show with some things that are added just for the sake of nonsense. So some things are in it that no one can explain (this is coming from the director's commentary). I've peeked at the dub, and it's vile, just vile. Some of the JP voice actors were picked from theatre and other odd places just to get a specific voice for each character, so a fitting dub is nearly impossible. I've been without the first dvd for a while, but I beleive it came with a booklet explaining some things and had the whole comic sequence printed out so you could read it. Someone should clear that up, though.
    Anyways, I'm surprised you've just now come upon FLCL. I love it to bits, I even bought the last 4 episodes individually from Japan because I couldn't wait for the rest.
    pwned by Ivan

4. Originally posted by FirstBlood
    I've never had any trouble reading the little explainations, and I find them good and informative.
    It's mostly the amateur feel that bothers me about it, though it does also bother me when I miss the explanations and have to rewind. I just absolutely cannot get into it with those explanations, it really irks me. But, I guess an amateur job can be expected from what is basically an amateur hobby of sorts (though groups like AONE are doing a good job). I don't know if I can explain it properly, but I am constantly aware of the translators behind the process, as opposed to a professional job where I forget that I'm even reading subtitles.

Fansubs are still better than might be expected from something where there is no monetary incentive or anything like that, and they are still an invaluable service to the non-Japanese anime fan.

First things first, FLCL is a crazy show with some things that are added just for the sake of nonsense. So some things are in it that no one can explain (this is coming from the director's commentary). I've peeked at the dub, and it's vile, just vile. Some of the JP voice actors were picked from theatre and other odd places just to get a specific voice for each character, so a fitting dub is nearly impossible. I've been without the first dvd for a while, but I beleive it came with a booklet explaining some things and had the whole comic sequence printed out so you could read it. Someone should clear that up, though.
    But the subs are good, right?
    Anyways, I'm surprised you've just now come upon FLCL. I love it to bits, I even bought the last 4 episodes individually from Japan because I couldn't wait for the rest.
    I guess it's just one of those things that I see the name of so much that I am naturally inclined to avoid it. I was spurred into checking it out by the tattoo in that thread in Sound Off, and also your comments at the beginning of your big FLCL thread.
    God is Rome

5. i hate those little explanation too

only times ive ever them though is in Naruto.. they go by too fast and I cant continue watching unless I know what the hell just flashed by on the top screen..

except that in naruto the explanations arnt as bad as telling you what baka means or somthing else that simple, i find them helpful yet annoying at the same time.

6. I don't know Japanese, so I'm not really sure if I can tell you if the subs are good or not. They tell the story just fine, and I don't feel like they've left anything out. There's no fan-subish explanation going on, either. I got the first two episodes when they came out here, so the rest I've seen are of the Japanese sub which could be slightly different, though.
    pwned by Ivan

7. Originally posted by Green
    I love it to its, I even bought the last 4 episodes individually from Japan because I couldn't wait for the rest.
    Whew. My wallet hurts just thinking about that. [$35+ for one thirty minute show... gulp.]

Anyway, I haven't watched an extensive number of fansubs, but when I have seen the explanations at the top, I appreciate them. Stuff like puns and play on words... How else can you possibly pick that out without a knowledge of Japanese? So a little explanation is always welcome.

8. I gots most of them used.
    As for the fansub explainatron thing, I've only seen in it on one official release, the Urusei Yatsura box. I appreciate it there, but it's rarely used since it comes with these cards that explain some of the stuff us gaijen wouldn't get.
    pwned by Ivan

9. Fansub quality varies widely. Usually the most prolific groups are the ones who do the sloppiest work. At the same time, there are several groups who do (what seems to be) professional-quality work. It all depends on how much care and work each group is willing to put into their work.

As for the translation notes, they're a godsend. We can't presume to understand every joke and reference in a medium that's the product of a different culture from ours. Until fansub releases start including text files that accompany each .avi (which would be clumsy and clutter-inducing), I say leave the onscreen notes. Besides, the 'pause' button is always readily available.

10. Gee, I thought the FLCL fansub was great! There's no way anyone can understand everything, and when it's a different language, all the harder. You can not expect a word-for-word translation... Japanese has all sorts of onomatopoetic words and kanji name meanings that you would never, ever get in English. I think the first episode has a note about that kid's name on the top...

You'd either get the extra bit of information or you don't, and I'd prefer to get it. How hard is it to slam the Space Bar to pause?