Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two sketches (nipple... erm, kinda)

1. Two sketches (nipple... erm, kinda)

Ok, well these are definitely very rough, and I'm severely out of practice (got an urge to get a scanner and start drawing again about a week ago, after about a long, long time not picking up a pencil at all), so please be kind These are actually the first time I've *ever* tried my hand at a semi-serious female body too, and I must say, the female body is about the most fun thing to draw ever
    Last edited by Andy; 09 Dec 2006 at 08:18 PM.

2. I'm still completely in the dark about faces, I'm going to have to work a lot more on them, so until then my girls will just have to remain headless (zing ). Shoulders are proving somewhat troublesome for me as well *goes to practice more* =D
    Last edited by Andy; 09 Dec 2006 at 08:17 PM.

3. Hm, not bad at all. The beauty of art is that it requires practice, so keep practicing and posting stuff up. I do like the second sketch, although it's disturbing looking at a headless girl in only panties. Keep it up my friend.

4. Heads are easy to do, but like everything else it's just a matter of practice. Start with the cross shape angled in the direction you want the face to be facing, so the lines of the cross will be curved like you're drawing them on a sphere. Nose goes just under the center point of the cross and the eyes should be bisected by the horizontal line of the cross. The chin goes at the bottom of the cross. Would be much easier to explain in sketch form, but I'm too busy working on a drawing to do examples right now.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

5. Originally posted by Ammadeau
    Heads are easy to do, but like everything else it's just a matter of practice. Start with the cross shape angled in the direction you want the face to be facing, so the lines of the cross will be curved like you're drawing them on a sphere. Nose goes just under the center point of the cross and the eyes should be bisected by the horizontal line of the cross. The chin goes at the bottom of the cross. Would be much easier to explain in sketch form, but I'm too busy working on a drawing to do examples right now.
    Actually, I think I get what you're trying to say, and that's actually a very good idea. I've never taken any art classes, so I still don't get the whole thing about drawing circle shapes for the body too much, but that does sound like a good idea, to give a place holder so I can look at how I want the face to look before I do it and mess it up Anyway, thanks both of you, very appreciated

6. I personally don't use the circle shapes for the body thing, though it does seem very helpful to some people. Just doesn't suit my drawing style. After I finish the face, I'll draw a body line for the general direction the body is positioned and then fill in the body in rough form from the shoulders down, though I draw the arms last usually.

I've taken only one art class and at the time I was just too stupid to understand what the teacher was trying to teach me, but thankfully my memory stored that info away until I had wised up enough to get it.

Your art is rough, but solid so there's nothing much else I can say except practice until the sense of proportion becomes instinct. That and buy a tablet right away. I can even begin to tell you how much improvement I've had simply by fully entering the digital medium. wacom.com has cheap used tablets that work great. Don't buy a tablet unless it's wacom, they're just the best.
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

7. Thanks again I bookmarked wacom, I'll likely be in the market for a tablet eventually, once I get a job and have the money I'm going to start looking at some.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

8. Ammadeau gave the perfect advices so I won't say more . I think a drawing without a head is creepy, too...

Say, Ammadeau, do you know of a tablet that's a... 'monitor'? I don't know if it's a computer unto itself but I assume it uses some sort of touch screen tech or something. I so this on TechTV .

9. Yep, Ammadeau is a master at criticism. He hit most of what I would say.

10. Originally posted by mrdandy
    Ammadeau gave the perfect advices so I won't say more . I think a drawing without a head is creepy, too...

Say, Ammadeau, do you know of a tablet that's a... 'monitor'? I don't know if it's a computer unto itself but I assume it uses some sort of touch screen tech or something. I so this on TechTV .
    http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index.cfm

That's not a computer onto itself though. There are notebook computers built around the above tablet called tablet PCs, but they're very expensive now and first gen. I'm waiting to see how the second generation comes out, which should be out soon, even though they'll still be outside my budget. Drawing with a tablet has become so natural for me now though I doubt it would be worth it for me anyway. Might get one if my current notebook finally dies though.