View Poll Results: Upgrade TNL? (7 day poll)

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yeah, I'm all for the new software!

29 74.36%
  • Hell no, I like it as-is

2 5.13%
  • Whatever, just don't keep the forum down long -- I have complaining to do!

8 20.51%
Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: vBulletin 3.0

1. vBulletin 3.0

Well, with the impending release of vBulletin 3.0, I'm interested in knowing what everyone thinks about TNL going through the upgrade. There are definitely more pros than cons in this case, but still, I'm interested in knowing what you want.

A short list of new features in vBulletin 3:
    • Linear, Threaded or Hybrid thread views - you can view each thread as either a default linear view, or and oldschool threaded view.
    • Reputation - Similar to old style Karma points, you can grant or revoke posters' reputations on the board. I don't know if that's actually a good idea to have on this particular forum, but we'll see.
    • Speed enhancements - vBulletin 3 uses a totally rewritten engine to improve the speed of page loading, posting, and viewing significantly.
    • Many of your favourite hacks are now built in - Self-explanatory, but still good to have.

The only cons involved with the upgrade are as follows:
    • There's gonna be a few hours worth of downtime while everything gets upgraded, the database gets converted, and miscellaneous site-specific scripts are rewritten.
    • You'll all be stuck with a default style until we design some new ones (but don't fret, we will try our hardest to re-integrate the styles up now like GameGO! and etc.)

In the mean time, I'll have a test board set up on the weekend on another server so if you're interested in checking it out let me know and I'll URL drop.

2. Of course. Only the newest and the best for us. Upgrading will give us a chance to make sure everything is in order, too, so we can deal with problems more efficiently.

3. Hop on AIM some time tonight so we can rap about vB 3.0, Nick.

Yay, upgrades.

5. Re: vBulletin 3.0

Originally posted by cka [*]Reputation - Similar to old style Karma points, you can grant or revoke posters' reputations on the board. I don't know if that's actually a good idea to have on this particular forum, but we'll see.
    I used to frequent a Final Fantasy-based vBulletin community, and they had "Ether" points (if I'm thinking of the same thing you mentioned). The whole system was pretty much useless, and it created hostility and all kinds of melodramatic crap among the users. Granted, that forum was comprised mostly of immature, angst-ridden drama queens, but I still vote against using this feature.

The only cons involved with the upgrade are as follows:
    [*]You'll all be stuck with a default style until we design some new ones (but don't fret, we will try our hardest to re-integrate the styles up now like GameGO! and etc.)[/list]
    I use the default style, anyway. A board upgrade gets my personal thumbs up.

6. Well Duh, you know how I feel about this....

wait...you don't?!

I'm...never.....around!!??

I,I..don't...know what to...say...I

I'll go now

Quote Originally Posted by William Oldham
    Sing a song of Madeleine-Mary
    A tune that all can carry
    Burly says if we don't sing
    Then we won't have anything...

7. Am I going to have to re-register again?

Seriously, though, glad to see you guys don't rest on your laurels. Upgrades rule.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

8. Nah, all the info is going to be imported into vBulletin 3. Also, if a worst-cast-scenario happens and everything gets FUBAR'd, I'll have a dump of the vBulletin 2 database handy. When I upgrade stuff, I make sure nothing vital is left unaccounted for.

9. I'll join OmegaFlareX in saying don't like the idea of a Reputation score. That could get ugly. OFX has already said why, so I'll not go into a lot of detail. If you disagree with someone or you put a honest bad trader alert out on them, they could ding your Reputation.

I'm for upgrading to the new VB.

10. Yeah, most if not all the options have on/off toggles including poster reputations. I'll leave it on for a few days anyway to see how it works out...

Keep in mind also that I don't know exactly how reputation affects the forum as a whole yet, so it can be anything from increased priviledges to a status text in your profile.