Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simpsons Editorial on Jump the Shark!

1. Simpsons Editorial on Jump the Shark!

Check it out! It pretty much covers my general feelings on what the show has become:

"I respect the right of other people to have a different opinion but the people writing for The Simpsons right now are not showing any love or respect for the characters. I find the constant humiliations inflicted upon Homer to be especially disturbing because I like the guy so my reaction is one of horror and not amusement. There is a reason why so many people have commented on The Simpsons and it's not just that we love the show it's that we love the Simpsons themselves. What was so great about the Simpsons is that we knew that despite they're faults and whatever would happen to them they were going to be all right. Episodes like the one were Lisa becomes president, Homer has the crayon up his nose, and all the Simpsons males are destined to be failures don't just spit on the face of devoted fans they urinate on them! Excuse me but Bart was supposed to become chief justice of the Supreme Court! Any real fan would know that. (I know that's a dorky statement but it's true.) While it was Homer's stupidity that made the show jump a distant runner up for me was the death of Maude Flanders. THE ENTIRE POINT of the Flanders family is that they were the annoyingly perfect family that lived next door to the Simpsons. To have the family missing a member and really hurting makes them no longer perfect and now Homer-who we shall recall lusted after Maude-has no more reason to be jealous of Ned since he's a heart broken widower. The current writers of The Simpsons don't care about the characters. They constantly degrade them. The show has lost its heart. The characters used to be lovable underdogs who cheered for. The quality of the writing reassured us of a happy ending. That's what made so many people love the Simpsons. The writing now is incoherent and unfunny. It hurts to say this but the Simpsons has jumped the shark."

2. What the hell is jumping the shark? I've heard it now twice, and both concerning shows of FOX...

Anyways, I agree with everything. I think they have also gotten annoying with the overuse of sex jokes... I wanna be able to let my li'l cousin watch it with me, but these days...

3. When a show has "Jumped the shark", it means it's past its prime and needs to end. It's a reference to the Happy Days episode where Fonzy jumped a shark on water-skis, or some such nonsense.

4. Originally posted by Saint of Killers
    When a show has "Jumped the shark", it means it's past its prime and needs to end. It's a reference to the Happy Days episode where Fonzy jumped a shark on water-skis, or some such nonsense.
    True. It is also the name of a website dedicated to the moments when certain TV shows goes downhill. Here's the URL.

http://www.jumptheshark.com/

Ironically enough, last Sunday's episode of the Simpsons had a static image of Homer (literally) jumping the shark.

Ironically enough, last Sunday's episode of the Simpsons had a static image of Homer (literally) jumping the shark.
    I wouldn't be suprised if it's no coincidence and its the writers of the show taking a shot at dumb articles like these.

6. Maude's character was killed off because her original voice actor left the show.

This fact is totally unrelated to the profound decline in quality the show has admittedly suffered through the past several years.

The Simpsons is today a pathetic shell of its former self. If FOX lacks the decency to cancel it, the creators should end the damn show themselves.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

7. I take comfort in the reruns that air around 7pm.

8. Sadly, I feel if things continue to spiral downward, they should end it. I know I'll miss the show deeply, but so long as they show reruns, it won't be so bad.

9. The show has been in Decline for sure... nothing will top the Fourth Season of the Simpsons I think - but the episode where Homer gets the Crayon stuck-up (unstuck and then stuck again) his nose provided one of the funniest moments of TV history EVER! When Homer asks "is there no place for Smart people" then you see him walking forlorne down the street as he passes up "dumb-dumbs club" or places like that and in the middle of all the places you see the Disney Store... that made me laugh for a good 6 - 7 minutes roughly. Classic.

ºTracer
    o_O

10. I think some of the new eps the last couple of eps were great.

I dont understand this, ep 4 or 5 were best, ot great seasons shit. Becasue if you go look at reviews that people made during those times.. people say, "Simpons have gone downhill", "what a happend the simpsons"and this during the time, when many people my self included have some of the greatest ep of all time.

Maybe simpsons is ahead of their time, in a couple of years.. will be talking about how simpsons isntt as funny during the late 90's earily 2000's...