Thread: Dai-Guard!

Dai-Guard!

Hi everyone. I've finished the sixth DVD or Dai-Guard, so now I can give my impressions of the series as a whole.

In the end the series was very good with good stories throughout. Most of the fights were short but satisfying. Keep in mind though that this is a character focused anime rather than an action one so even though you'll encounter your monster of the week most of the time, the enemies usually aren't the big issue.

The closest thing I can compare Dai-Guard to is Nadesico, except with a company maintaining a giant robot rather than a space ship, but I think there are some things that Dai-Guard does a bit better. One of those things is balancing comedy and seriousness. Of the episodes of Nadesico that I have seen, they usually left me with nothing to laugh about. It actually would get to the point that I would have to remind myself that it's a spoof of the space war mecha genre.

Here though, I still have to remind myself a bit, but it's more or less because the show is so well done. In fact I could almost say it's paying homage to giant robots rather than making fun of them.

I like the realistic way that the series tries to handle itself too. It's not overly realistic, but adding in conflict with the army and the companies board of directors really adds some meat to this series.

Of course the main focus of this series is the characters, and they do a great job of adding depth to most of them. I only wish that they had allowed us to look a bit more into the life of Akagi (Dai-Guards main pilot), but they seem to let us in enough to care about what happens to him in the series.

As far as the voice tracks, the dub and sub have a few differences that make the characters feel a little different. Also, there seem to be less jokes in the sub compared to the dub. Overall, I'd say that the sub would be best for those who want more serious flair and the dub for those who could use a good laugh.

Overall, this series starts real slow (the first DVD left me a little disappointed), but by the end of the series, it turns out to be one of those feel good series that make you want to make the world a better place.

It's very good and I'd reccommend it to anyone. Just make sure that when you get it to get the first 2 DVD's together.

Let me know any other questions or comments you may have about the series and I'll answer what I can. Also, I can post individual DVD impressions upon request.

Brotherman
    Taking it one day at a time.

2. Thanks for the review, Brotherman.

A while back I did exactly what you suggest not to do and watched the first DVD without watching the second one. Like you, I was quite dissapointed with it ( my impressions: http://www.tokidokijournal.com/anime/daiguard/ ). After your review here, maybe I'll give it a second chance when it comes out as a Perfect Collection for cheap

P.S. - Did the Evangelion rip-offs stop after DVD 1 ??

Just read your review.

I've seen a few episodes of EVA as well as the movies, but it didn't feel EVAish to me at all (A friend of mine did make the reference though). I thought many of the monsters were funny since they look like everyday object gone amuck.

As far as the characters, the interactions between them only get better and you might find some surprises when it comes to some of the characters motivations for acting as they do.

With Dai-Guard, ADV was wise to include 5 episodes on the first DVD, but as I said before, you really don't start to get the true feel of the series until DVD 2.

I'd like to mention more too, but it would only lead to spoilers.

Still a pretty good review of the first DVD overall.

Just giving it a bump to see if anyone else has seen this anime yet.

5. Hhmmm, might be interested in collecting this after obtaining the Escaflowne Boxset

Decided to bring this back up since it's in Newtype this month. As I said though, this one get's much better than the first episode shows, but at the same point, if you like the first episode then you'll likely like the rest of the series.