Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ahnuld goes "Commando"

1. Ahnuld goes "Commando"

Oh man, is this a great film. Not a classic piece of cinema, but a nice over-the-top action flick starring pre-surgery Schwarzenegger. Directed by Mark L. Lester and released in 1985 (Arnie riding the crest of his classic role as The Terminator), it's got a weird mix of one-liners, insane action sequences, and silly acting. Not to mention a pretty cool steel-drum soundtrack by James Horner.

(edit: thanks Despair & Dolemite for the corrections!)

Arnie stars as the improbably named John Matrix, a legendary soldier who's retired with his daughter (a hella cute teenage Alyssa Milano) in the mountains under a fake name. He's living a quiet life, doing some work around the house.

Before he knows it, his daughter is kidnapped and he's forced to go kill some dictator by a political rival (Dan Hedaya, with a laughable Spanish accent). But Matrix isn't having any of it, and aided by stewardess Rae Dawn Chong, he sets out to rescue his daughter, who's held captive by a paunchy ex-teammate named Bennett, played by Vernon Wells (aka Wez from The Road Warrior).

Matrix is mad enough to kick the entire planet's ass!!!

Highlights include a silly fist fight in a hotel room with Cook (Bill Duke, who drives an awesome convertible land-boat Caddy in the film):

"Are you scared motherfucker? Well you should be. Cause this Green Beret's gonna kick your big ass."

"I eat Green Berets for breakfast, and right now I'm very hungry."

A ridiculous chase through a crowded mall, with Matrix chasing Sully (David Patrick Kelly). Eventually catching him and hanging Sully over a cliff, Matrix "lets him go" and swipes his trashed Porsche.

The infamous garden shed sequence, in which a wounded Matrix kills several soldiers in grotesque fashion with pitchforks, sawblades, and axes.

The climactic knife fight with Bennett is just as ridiculous.

Somehow Bennett actually gets the upper hand, only to have a pipe run through him so he can "let off some steam."

Anyways, it's a great action film, albeit extrememly illogical, and a film I watch a few times a year - it never gets old. The lines get more corny as time goes by, but it's a reminder of less serious times I suppose.

"You're a funny guy, Sully, I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last."

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

I love it too, another cool scene is where he uses a broken vehicle to race down a hill, or the escape from the airplane, which seemed like it might work. They still show this on the Fox movie channel, it's a fun movie. I watched the shed scene countless times back in the day.

3. Bio, Great thread, and its great Arnold flick. But you got something wrong: Mark L. Lester directed commando, and not Andrew Davis

Commando was my first Arnold's film, and one of the first US made action films I seen in my life. In 88, when the vido boom started in Russia, and small video screening salons were growing left and right, me and couple of my buddies went to see it. And it kicked ass. It was over the top and as you said not the greatest piece of the cinema, but was it FUN to see Arnie mow down hordes of baddies, and when he got to the toolshed, it was even more wicked

"Remembah, when I saidh I will kill ya last. I lideh"

And Arnold's character has a great name: Matrix

4. Ahhhhh, I shoulda known better about the director. Thanks Despair!

I love it when he breaks the neck of Enriquez on the plane and covers him with a blanket. "Please don' distuhb mai frehnd. He's ded tihred." Then he leaves his seat ("I am aihrsick") and as Korian already said, jumps out of the plane from the landing gear after it takes off. Classic!

Hey Korian, I watched that shed scene one frame at a time, over and over! It was a Night of the Living Dead moment for sure! BWA HA HAA!!!!!!

Which reminds me, I oughta get the DVD - my VHS copy must be close to wearing out.

5. Or how about famous scene when he wrecks the side of the convertible, and then when he drives away few minutes later, it all magically repaired

Or the part where Rae Dawn Chong tries to use rocket launcher and instead blows up someone store behind her

6. YES!

"Where did you learn to do that?"

"I read the instructions!"

And he steals a bulldozer to go "shopping" (i.e. get his arsenal), smashing in the entire front of the store! WTF!

Bio - That's funny, I thought I was the only one.

Did you guys like Raw Deal? Hah I watched the end shootout countless times.

8. Raw Deal is ok Arnold flick, definately better than some crap he made in recent years(ie 6th Day and Collateral Damage). End gun fight was pretty good too.

9. I had a crush on Arnold's daughter in the movie, I was like, real young so yeah, its not surprising, I'm sure most of you did too.

Arnold looked so bad ass in this flick, it's not even funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

10. Aw you know it! In 1986 I was, what, 14, so heck yeah I thought she was damn cute at the time.

Raw Deal was a cool flick. Not quite as good as stuff like Eraser and Total Recall, but not as bad as Hercules in New York. You guys are right, though, the end gunfight was awesome.

Hey Despair, how'd you like Arnie's performance as a Russian in Red Heat? Give that man an Oscar NOW!!!!!!!