Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alienware Systems

1. Alienware Systems

I was looking at two of Alienware's system setups, the Aurora and the Area-51. The prices are pretty close together, and the only difference between the two I notice are the processors. This will be used mainly for video editing, PhotoShop, and games. So I was wondering if there's any fundamental difference between the Pentium 4 and the Athlon to make one better suited than the other. As far as I know, Athlon's do edge out P4s performance-wise, but with 2000+ riding on a decision, I want to be sure I make the right one ^^

Also, has anyone delt with Alienware before? Do you know how their customer service is and how reliable their computers are? Can you just start using them as soon as they arrive, or do they leave all the software/driver installing up to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

2. the more important question is...how can you afford it with your current salary?

ok, I am bored. hit me hero

seriously, I was thinking about one of those myself, so I am looking forward to how this thread develops.

3. /me skewers you

I REALLY need to know which would be better. Not smarty responses

4. i got one awhile ago, great system, poor customer service from the one phonecall i made. My keyboard would randomly not work on bootup, they said they would send me a new keyboard and never did, i was transferred numerous times as well. Thier phone help was all outsourced, and they were idiots. My system was supposed to be delivered in 2 weeks and took a month. They are much bigger now so maybe these problems have gone away. I was mad, but once i got it i really liked it. Wires were bound and routed throughout the case to increase airflow, and they don't preload a ton of useless shit. It's fast and ready out of the box.

Did you check out the new case design at Best Buy? It looks really cool on the web site but was ugly and cheap looking in person IMO. It's also needlessly HUGE.

5. I want a Shuttle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

6. CNETs first review of a new Athalon 3200 system
    It seems comperable and maybe slightly better than the P4s, but it's hard to tell because they're using a RAID array and 10,000rpm drives

8. piku~Where's that, and do they build the system for you?

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com

Yeah, they build them for you. It might look like a cheap little operation, but I've bought two PC's there and have had zero problems. Rule #1 - name brand PC's are expensive as hell.

10. Aye, but this guy's big want was the Alienware case-mod. Even if it's not my money, I'd like to save him as much as possible.