Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Narcotic of Lodoss War

1. Narcotic of Lodoss War

Well, after about thirty hours of Lodoss War in about four days, you can count me addicted. Last game I ever played in such succession was PSO, and before that, Counterstrike. It must mean that Lodoss War has some fun involved...

If this game were online multiplayer (yeah right), like PSO, this would have been just as popular an online community, easily. Fact is, however, Lodoss War is built around single player, so while multiplayer comparisons are unfair, it's hardly avoidable considering RoLW so clearly resembles multiplayer monster fests such as Diablo, or even the aforementioned PSO (in statistical/improvement comparisons). It often feels like a PC game trapped in a console, but nothing feels limited and awkward in Lodoss War, and thats part of the reason I find it so playable, and impressive.

At the core, it's a standard hack and slash that keeps repetition from aging too quickly by offering countless methods of character improvement and gradually stronger foes. Sound familiar? It's a formulaic routine that alwats works well when programmed correctly, and adding the air of an RPG and the atmopshere of a well known and successful anime series is nothing but positive. If you've played Baldurs Gate, PSO, Diablo, or anything of that particular ilk, then you'll pick up RoLW very quickly. In no time, you find yourself glued to the control pad for several hours, especially once the story (what story there is) kicks off. The weapons system and upgrading menus are half the fun, as you can weild a large array of (some random) weapons, armor, jewelry, and tool with endless methods of affixing more strength and power to each. Using an clever 'Ancients' system, the game employs use of engraving runes into your swords and armor to pump up it's stats. Think of each new 'ancient inscription' as a monogrinder, but useful for adding strength to different stats, rather than just weapon power. Dexterity, Critical, Intelligence, etc, are all very important to your character's adventure; each several points in the respective category actually makes a visible difference.

Ugh, I'm babbling again! Sorry. I'm just hip on this game right now, and my intention wasn't to write a review. All I really wanted to pen was that the game is exremely addicting, fun, well designed and MASSIVE, with area after area of solid (although a little dirty) levels offering every trick in the book. One of the better hard action-rpgs to find it's home on a console in several years. If you DC people haven't grabbed this yet, start looking. It's cheap now, but it's disappearing....

Pet your Dreamcast,
    ~Quinn
    Can't live without the classics...
    Original and Remixed Game Music

2. Man, this is like the fourth Lodoss War thread this week. Still, it is a cool game that sucks you in. The dependency on you equipment as your prime means of character advancement and customization (as opposed to Diablo's emphasis on experience levels) make this more gratifying, since you get to improve you guy alot more often.

This game really is freaking huge, and some of those dungeouns (the goblin caverns under the dark forest) go on forever. It would be too crazy if the medallion dungeons were more than a few rooms...I wish it were so. Still, I always feel compelled to max out as many runes as I can, and I find myself just playing this for hours on end while doing something else...talking on the phone or listen ing to the radio. Awesome veg-out game. The only thing I hate is polishing off a few dungeons, putting a ton of mithril into your gear, then dying at the hands of those cheapass giants or golems that knock you down in a corner and don't let you get up until you die...then realising you haven't saved. Agh! Anyway, I'm gonna go play this now.
    -Kyo

3. Work on that DURAbility! ^_^ Or find those boots or that cloak that don't let you get knocked over. Get your Oriental Sword's CRItical around 90% or more, find the 'Mana to Flesh' Ancient, and you'll be a new man.

I didn't do shit today but play Lodoss,
    ~Quinn

4. Forgetting to save it so painful, but the pain helps you to remember and after a while you never forget or else.

The game is massive but at the same time too short. The final tower has something like 9-10 levels alone, but once you muscle your way through it, it only leaves you wanting more.

I think a multiplayer version of this game could make my buy a console for it, and I'd consider it for a single player version.

Don't make me start playing it again. My game backlog is big enough as it is. ^_^;;
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

5. Originally posted by Quinn Fox
    Work on that DURAbility! ^_^ Or find those boots or that cloak that don't let you get knocked over. Get your Oriental Sword's CRItical around 90% or more, find the 'Mana to Flesh' Ancient, and you'll be a new man.

I didn't do shit today but play Lodoss,
    ~Quinn
    My durability's almost maxed-out, but there's still some enemies who do 1 point of damage to me and still send me sprawling. I guess I'll have to hang on until I get that cape. It seems to me that even if you get a crit with the oriental sword, it doesn't do as much damage as the two-handed sword. I'll go check again, though - the damage modifier may be high enough to balance it out if the crit % is high enough. As for Mana to flesh - doesn't that just give you more hp? It doesn't really matter how much you have if the Titan Zombies or whoever have you pinned to the ground. You'll eventually die no matter what, unless you have an invincibilty potion.

Anyway, back to the game...
    -Kyo

6. Leveling up will actually help against the titans. I had the same problem against them myself, but after leveling up like mad they were cake. I probably did some engravings as well, but durability maxed, cape, boots, etc, doesn't mean much if you still get stunned by them, and you will, you just won't wall down.

Mana to flesh gives you a huge ammount of hit points. Believe me, it can turn a deathtrap into a slaughter (you slaughtering them I mean).

Crit multiplies damage, damage engraving only increases. Now which do you think is better? Max out both if you can, you'll need them for the end stuff at least. That's where the game really starts beating on you.

There's actually an engraving that will let you do more damage to the golems, but it's pretty useless. Mithril is better spent on other things.

Damn, I might have to start a new game of Loddoss soon.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

7. The Titans and such may stun me for a short period of time, but my critical is so high (171%) with Fast Attack maxxed out, that as long as I'm not falling down, I still get two or three slices to chop the enemy to shreds. Mana to Flesh worked wonders for me. The more HP the better.

~Quinn

8. Damn, Reading all these impressions and coments, makes me want to start this game as soon as possible. I still have it waiting for me in my pile of shame, still in the original wrap, but I really need to get to it.

And I'm huge fan of Diablo 1&2, and I loved Dark Allience as well, so I know I will love this game.

9. Friggen A. Im just going to have to get this game. Only place Ive found is my work, for 40$, so I guess Im gonna hafta shell it out for the game. I had little faith that I would like this game, but so many impressions so far have left me wanting to play. Screw you all, you people just want me broke. =P

Bye bye, Mr. Pay check.~
    Z-roe
    A is for action

Wow, I nabbed a a copy off of EBAY a few days ago. With all this praise, I'm getting real excited about playing it.

Must finsih Arc first, though