Thread: Two New Pieces (WIPs but almost done)

1. Two New Pieces (WIPs but almost done)

This one is of a crude angel with a mutated appearance. He's hunched over a bit and had only 2 toes and 2 fingers on each hand. His wings are formed like sails for a reason:

This guy is actually a demon with fire red hair. His pupil is white, hit cornea is red. I really like his old school revolved. Only the following was made with the new books I have and I've only read up until the leg chapters.

Also, if FuryFox is reading this thread, how do you scan an image to not pick up the grey smeers on the pages? Also, how do you work the layers in adobe to ideal colouring means. I mean, like you have to duplicate the layer, then turn the top one to... multiply? Screen? Thanks in advance. (if anybody else knows they can pitch in their knowledge too)

Sorry Fox. This time I'll write it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. Testing, 1..2... testing....
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Well...scanner software is typically inferior to the Photoshop tools, so I just try and get an accurate scan as possible. It's really late right now, so I can't go into all the detail (didn't I say this all in a different thread? -I don't remember which one) right now (will later), but the basic idea is to scan the image, than use Image -> Adjustment -> Levels to work out all the smudges, turn the paper color to pure white, and get the lines as dark as possible. The Levels tool has sliders, so you can fiddle with it until it looks right.

After that...there's several things you can do...uh,I'll get to it. Multiply is the layer option you want to use if you're just going to paint underneath your lines, btw.

4. Thanks Fox. I'll write it down this time. I know you said it in another thread but I'm not sure which one either, to be honest. Sorry for the inconvenience, bud.

I'm familiar with the colour balancing, and I've done it to the top one. So step 1 is done within reason. Thanks for your help Fox.

5. Personally I've always had issues with coloring a picture and leaving the pencil lines, so really...I'd suggest you not worry about the smudges at all and just don't use the pencil outlines. I don't know how your PenTool-Fu is, but it'd be an EXCELLENT time to flex those muscles for the edges.

Multiply with a black and white image will work both above and underneath a color layer, for the record (so long as the top layer is set to Multiply that is).

Also...very nice work.

6. What Blaine says is true...inking the image and then scanning black-and-white at a really high resolution is the best way to go, and the way that professional comics are produced.

Okay, once again it's late (sorry Andrew), so I don't want to type it all out. However, definitely check out www.polykarbon.com Go to the tutorial section. I found this guy's site very helpful for the beginning stages of digital coloring, and he describes the process for coloring very clearly (with pictures, even).

The only deviation I use now is that I don't bother inking, and just process my hi-res pencils, and process those with Adobe Streamline for my "inks". And to get clean pencils, it's easiest to just use Levels, like I described. It will make sense what I mean if you go to that site and check out his tutorials. They're simple and concise, really.

7. I think it's easier to ink the image. Thanks for the link Fox, i'll definitly check it out.

Blaine: Thanks for the compliments, those books Fox and JM helped me get the form in perspective, especially Raimus' face which has a lot of personality, and I like that idea.

I'm really good with the pen tool, but I don't want these to have a uniform look to them, but something that HAS been drawn by hand. I know you can create lots of polish with a pen tool, and I may do that later, but for now I will take you and Fox's advice and just ink them. It shant be too hard because I've cleaned both up pretty smoothly.