Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's ready for DoDonPachi Dai-ou-jyou?!

Seven Force Guest
    Guwange is "spelled" like this:

You can figure the rest out from here

Seven Force Guest

Just played it again...here's some info...

Well...the wait is over (at least here in Japan, anyway) and the long-awaited sequel is on the street. I was able to play a few coins and I thought I'd share the info here...

Let's start with the graphics. Now if you compare this with the first two DDPs then you might see that some effects have changed and and that some things look better as well. Some of the enemies are new and are also big, while some have been resurrected (A couple of bosses have returned as weaker mid-bosses). Some areas will even look familiar (like the first group of tanks that travel at an angle) while most of them have a new look. At a couple of points there were so many bullets that even this game slowed down very briefly. To sum it up, you'll definitely see that it's Cave in control.
    ---
    The mechanics. I'm sure by now, everyone is familiar with the DoDonpachi way of shmupping. Holding down the shot button fires your laser while your speed is reduced. Using a bomb while in Laser mode will make a laser bomb. Using it in shot mode makes a spread (area) bomb.

The new feature is the Hyper weapon. By using your laser, the Hyper meter builds up over time. Once it fills, A Hyper item floats down the screen to you. This will boost your ship into a super-power level in either mode, thus making it possible to kill most enemies easier and score insane combo counts. Using it initally will clear the screen of bullets-like a "mini-bomb"

Combo counts? For those who don't know, there is a meter that quickly goes from green to red. If you destroy an enemy before the meter goes out, it is refreshed and will stay up as long as you continually destroy enemies.

As for its difficulty, it's much like its predecessors-only the intensity starts right from the get-go. You'll quickly identify your true hit area, for knowing it is going to be your saving grace in those tight situations when you can't or choose not to bomb.

In this game, there are only two ships to choose from as opposed to the usual three. Type-A has a more powerful and forward main shot and Type-B's shots cover a lot more area (Sounds like Ring and Bolt from Progear. The Element-Dolls determine the formation of your options as well as the main attributes of your fighter. Shotia strengthens your shots the two options are at your side and fire forward. With her, you start with three bombs and can have a maximum of six. Leinyan strentghens your Laser. The options rotate around the front of your ship (like the old A-type from the previos games. You start off with two bombs and can max out at four. Exy is the Expert companion. Both your shot and laser get strengthened. The options are at your side and fire at wider angle (like the old C-type). You start with only ONE bomb and max at two.
    ---
    My impression: Like I said before, the action was intense from the get-go. Even so, I enjoyed every minute of it. Even seasoned veterans might find themselves a little frustrated since the on-screen assault can be beyond insanity. Even with a lot of familiarities, it's still very well done in my opinion. Any familiar with the Cave name will easily give it go as will anyone who has a decent idea about shooters. When the price takes a drop (178,000 yen = too much for me) I'll definitely get one of these. If anyone liked the first DDP and not the second, then you'll be right at home knowing that this holds more true to the first game than the second one did. (Mainly because the better part of the work was done by Cave)

Oh yes!! I almost forgot the music!! Just like the game, it too is intense. It's not quite as "Rock-ish" like the fisrt DDP, but has more of a techno feeling to it. It would in a remind me of the music from Raycrisis to an extent. Even some of the sound effects from the first DDP are in here too. Unfortuntely, the female voice from the first game has been replaced by a male, but you still get that CrAzY cave voice goodness ("Just a couple more shots!!")

I hope you have more than half an idea about what this game is really like...until you get to see for yourself. If I missed anything, let me know and I'll get back to you-or find the answer...

3. ...and a much needed 'bump.'

Do you know how many stages there are?

4. and another bump...

Goddamn! What exactly is above those candy cabs, the plexiglass with what looks sorta like a marquee or a mini-marquee but with extra information?? That is such a cool display for that!

Great videofeed as well, btw

5. Very nice, thank you

Seven Force Guest
    I really don't know. (I've not seen anyone get past the fourth)

Oh yes...I did forget one more thing...

The "bonus bees" are in this game too. Instead of the usual progessive point values (100, 200, 400, 800, etc), They are now multipliers based on your current combo count x 1000. So it's possible to get a row of bees based on a rising combo count (and get mad points!)

7. Great impressions 7force, thanks very much.

BTW, did you get my last email?

Seven Force Guest
    Cigs!!!

I sure did get your last mail. Finding the first game in console format is not going to be easy.

This might take a while...

You know the name, you know the number...

9. Like I said before, the action was intense from the get-go.
    "Attention, mop needed in aisle seven, excessive drool puddle."

10. Originally posted by Mode7
    Do you know how many stages there are?
    http://www4.big.or.jp/~hor/score/sco...hi4&mode=entry

The above link takes you to Shooting Game Laboratory's
    score entry page. When you input which stage your game
    ended, you can choose among five stages. So there should
    be five stages in the game.

I'm too lazy to find another source to confirm this, so
    take this as you wish.