Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of character designs appeal to you most in a game?

What type of character designs appeal to you most in a game?

For me, I like anime style character designs most, but I also like realistic designs as long as they aren't dark.

Here are some examples of others:

Anime
    Cartoony
    Digitized

There are others too. So what styles do you guys like best?
    Taking it one day at a time.

2. Whatever suits the game best, though I admit I don't really care that much for the cartoony or digitized look. I do like the more realistic style, like VF4, MGS2, Halo, etc. The anime style is rarely done well in games, I think, outside of something like Sakura Taisen. I don't really dig it even in games like JSRF.

DOA3 is like a cross between anime and realistic, though I wish it would go more realistic, or at least give the characters some sort of skin texture. Though hopefully not make them all look like drug addicts, like in Silent Hill 2.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

3. I think I tend to prefer bright and cartoony, along with more natural or organic surroundings in my games, although they're obviously not a prerequisite for me liking a game.

I tend to be turned off by what I perceive to be cold and sterile environments, although games like Halo are obviously the exception as well.

4. Anything gothic , anthing between anime and realisitic.

5. Basically, I cringe at anything that wasn't created by a Japanese designer. The characters don't have to look anime-ish in nature, but Japan seems to produce the most competent designs in video games, with very few exceptions.

6. I generally prefer anime/cartoon style character designs than the realistic ones.
    Also, I've been a fan of Namco's character designs, from Klonoa to Tekken 4's, for example... (I'm sure I'm in the minority on that one. )

7. I really don't prefer an art style, it all depends upon if I like the work itself.

8. Well, I also like character with the mix of Anime and Realistic but not super deformed. I also like them to be more gothic and dark. Something like Dante, Sparda, Yuri or Alucard.

I also like characters with ancient Japan or Asian roots, such as ninjas, samurai, etc.

9. Rez.

What I really want to see is a kind of Cel Shadeing tht looks like an Oil Painting. Think about a new Golden Axe like that...

ºTracer
    o_O

10. What I really want to see is a kind of Cel Shading that looks like an Oil Painting. Think about a new Golden Axe like that...
    That would be interesting to see, if not a bit confusing.

I like a few semi-realistic chara designs, a few really bizarre ones, some of Amano's stuff, and even the chara designs of Grand Theft Auto 3. Simple, complex, as long as it's interesting.

Paper Mario (or just Mario), Silhouette Mirage, Legend of Mana, Mischief Makers, Jet Set Radio, Princess Crown, the Vampire fighting series, Panzer Dragoon, Sin and Punishment, Zelda, Megaman Legends, Project Justice, and probably a bunch of games I can't immediately recall have character designs that I love.