Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone buy the new Harry Potter book today?

1. Originally posted by station82o
    I never said I waited or would wait in line for a movie or videogame system premiere at midnight - I just said that I felt that was somewhat understandable...if thats a double standard then fine. And I also feel that as a retail employee at a major bookstore chain who worked this entire weekend like mad, I'm entitled to a little bitching. Enjoy your book, I'm enjoying the fact that I don't give a fuck about it. I've heard/seen enough about Harry Potter in the past 3 years.
    I wasn't directing it at you (at least I don't think so, I was just responding to people saying it's stupid to wait in line for a book when it's the same thing as waiting for a "big" game or movie). Ya don't have to tell me about working retail, I was at Blockbuster for just under 4 years. The hard days come with the territory. Working at a book store you wouldn't think you'd get that many big rush days. Fear the power of Potter!

2. Originally posted by red_war_machine
    I've just finished it.

Strangely underwhelmed. For the first half I was convinced that it was going to turn out better than the Prisoner of Azkaban. How wrong I was. It's decent, but the ending is NOTHING LIKE as good as the Goblet of Fire, the characters aren't as well done as Prisoner of Azkaban and the story really fails to impress, largely because of the distinct lack of a major 'quest'.

One exception to this is Harry. I read in a Guardian editorial a while ago that there was a concern that she would find that, as Harry grew older, Rowling would have trouble making him appear still-realistic without overstepping her talent or alienating her audience. She has succeeded - REMARKABLY well. The way you see touches of his father towards the end in his comments towards Ron... superb.

The writing is also possibly the best out of any book in the series, and there are some very funny moments - Dumbledore's chocolate frog one still makes me grin.

I don't know; I'm really in two minds again. I think I'll start the series again and read them through from beginning to end.

Aside from that, it's just a case of waiting for the next one!

*twiddles thumbs*

(WHY DID SHE KILL THAT CHARACTER?!?! I'm really upset about that, although Nick's curtain comments were really good. I wonder if we'll see more emotive dealing with it at the beginning of VI? Everyone's chance to get sad about it was kind of cut off).
    I'd been meaning to reread the first four books for quite some time now, and never got around to it because of the "major quest" that is prominent in each one. Though I enjoy the hell out of the books, I hate the ending wrap up session with Dumbledore as well, where he explains everything. That's a crutch, one that needs to be cast away, and I think that may happen in the future.

As for the death...that didn't bother me at all, though it had more of an impact on me than Cedrics's death in book IV. I was actually hoping that one of the more prominent characters would be killed off, after the much-publicized "crying" incident.
    "Tick-tock"

3. Originally posted by taloony
    As for the death...that didn't bother me at all, though it had more of an impact on me than Cedrics's death in book IV. I was actually hoping that one of the more prominent characters would be killed off, after the much-publicized "crying" incident.
    That did strike me. I'm more upset about the fact that I won't see that character again than I am BECAUSE they died, if you know what I mean.

I really don't think big deaths are her strong point, and as I think book 6 has got to be really sad in order to make way for the showdown in book 7, I'm not sure her writing style will be able to cope.

Book 6 has me confused, though. I really don't understand what can possibly happen in there. I mean, the next time Harry sees Lord Voldemort, he really has to make some effort towards killing him, doesn't he? How, then, can there be a 'mini-showdown' like we saw in the first four books? I just have a horrible feeling it'll become contrived

In short, I don't think she can continue with the Harry Potter that I really love, the light-hearted fairy tale that I enjoy reading. Which is a shame but, still, I'll give it a chance. What really stays with me was:

Snape's worst memory. The part with James, Sirius and Lupin I REALLY enjoyed; it was fantastic. I want everything to be more like that; take the pressure off a bit, ya know? Personally, I'm a hell of a lot more interested in finding out more about those three than I am about Harry, Ron and Hermione.
    BTFJ

4. I'd just like to give a thank you for using the spoiler tags, I have about 200 pages to go now. Shit just got REALLY interesting.

5. I just finished it, it was quite the chapter to the series. In typical Potter book fashion, I can't wait for the next one. We can only hope it'll take less than 3 years.

This one was really a different tale. It was much darker feeling, a lot less innocent and happy. I think this is really a turning point in the series. As for the death, it was one of the 2 people I thought it was going to be. It was pretty fucking significant too, I mean I was pretty taken aback by it. Something didn't sit with me right the way she wrote it though, I'm not sure why.

And I have to ask: Why the fuck didn't Dumbledore tell Harry why he had to block the dreams? I'm not satisfied with the answer he gave him. It feels like too much of a plot hole, at least how it came across to me. All he had to say was that he didn't want Voldermort to possess him and trick Harry. Tell him that he could be manipulated into a trap and that's that. Fucking Dumbledore knew it, what the hell was the problem in telling him? Just saying that with out going on about a fucking prophecy would have been enough! And the phophecy! It didn't even say how to kill the other person! Voldermorts tried 3 damn times to kill Harry, isn't he after some more clear instructions on how to do it? Damn it where's book 6?

In short, I don't think she can continue with the Harry Potter that I really love, the light-hearted fairy tale that I enjoy reading. Which is a shame but, still, I'll give it a chance.
    This is a good point, but for me, I'm in for whatever ride JK has in mind. I'm all about these characters and the course that this story just took. 'Order' was a pretty glum book, I can't imagine what the hell she is going to do with what she's set herself up with. She's really going to have to break out of her 'mold' to make a satisfying story.

At 850+ pages, this was one long damn book, it's going to be quite sometime before I read it again.

6. bought two copies (one at barnes and noble ($18), the other at costco ($16) and i've yet to read it. i actually haven't read any of the previous ones either, but i plan to.

it's kind of a stupid reason, but i really bought order of the phoenix for the cover art (for my copy i did, the other one i bought for someone else).

7. I wouldn't read this book without reading the others. If you've seen the movies than you can start with book 3 (which is one of the best in the series) and be fine, but without the knowledge of those I think a lot of it is going to be lost on you. There are a lot of characters that come back from books 3 and 4 that won't make any sense to you. I wouldn't want to start on part 5 of a series on anything really.

8. yea, i wasn't really plan on reading it right now without knowing what's happened in the others. it did come across my mind to start on it though, but i rather not, i definitely know a lot of it is going to be lost on me.

it's going to end up on the backburner anyway. i've still got this stephen king anthology to read, and i also have the Ring novel to open up. and once i get the other 4 books... well yea... it doesn't look like i'll be opening up the 5th one anytime soon.

it's all really intriguing though reading bits and pieces of you people's posts.

9. Originally posted by Rhydant
    dont knock the books before you read 'em. theyre actually quite good.

thanks for ruining that. you goddamn n00b.

... jesus christ.
    the death of a significant character has been common knowledge for a while, she mentioned it in several interviews. not who, but that someone was getting whacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

10. Originally posted by Rumpy
    It was pretty fucking significant too, I mean I was pretty taken aback by it. Something didn't sit with me right the way she wrote it though, I'm not sure why.
    Thank you. I'm really not sure WHY it didn't really work, but it didn't for me. Meh... maybe, again, it's the problem of it occuring too near the end. I think coverage of it will be better next book, during the summer.

And I have to ask: Why the fuck didn't Dumbledore tell Harry why he had to block the dreams? I'm not satisfied with the answer he gave him. It feels like too much of a plot hole, at least how it came across to me. All he had to say was that he didn't want Voldermort to possess him and trick Harry. Tell him that he could be manipulated into a trap and that's that. Fucking Dumbledore knew it, what the hell was the problem in telling him? Just saying that with out going on about a fucking prophecy would have been enough! And the phophecy! It didn't even say how to kill the other person! Voldermorts tried 3 damn times to kill Harry, isn't he after some more clear instructions on how to do it? Damn it where's book 6?
    Why would a prophecy tell you how to do it, though? I think it just anticipates Harry turning into a great wizard... in which, case, though... how else could you kill a wizard except for the unforgivable curse? The curtain is the only way I can think of... Harry can't become a criminal really, so I anticipate Voldemort dying like Sirius did. Or something else really exciting which she only introduces at the beginning of the seventh book.

(That's one of the things I hate most about her writing. Page 4 - "This is a thestral". Page 700 - "I know! We can use the thestrals!" )
    BTFJ