Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite (or most hated) hoax of all time

1. Your favorite (or most hated) hoax of all time

Lets face it, one of the muddier aspects of being a (hardcore?) gamer is the plethora of rumors that circulate throughout our media. The advent of the internet has given us access to instant news, but has also opened the floodgates to instant rumors, speculations, and hoaxes. While some rumors and info are blatant hoaxes and are quickly dismissed as such, others are occasionally given creedence- only to be exposed as cruel fabrications.

So, now is the time to reminisce about infamous gaming hoaxes throughout the years...

My fave is the one in which Luigi was supposed to be a hidden playable character in Mario 64.

2. Most memorable hoax for me would be that infamous Sheng Long code for SF2 which EGM started as April Fools joke.
    I remember all the people at the arcade trying to get S.L...

Also, Marvel vs Capcom 3 info posted at Madman's Cafe this year was pretty good too.

3. Mine would be Shenlong on Street Fighter II that EGM posted, now that I look back at it was pretty funny, got me

My most hated would be the recent Growlanser II anouncement

4. Yeah, I hate them for those MvC 3 screens featuring Dante

Now, Capcom really need to make this game!!!

Plus, If this whole Ikaruga thing turns out to be fake, that will be one hell of the rumor

5. i hated the original street fighter 2 for the super nes boss code hoax. it was so good/bad, that people would lie about it.

"yeah, i got it to work. i can play as sagat."
    "can you show me how it's done?"
    "naw man, you're gonna have to find out for yourself."

unbelievable.

6. Originally posted by Nash
    i hated the original street fighter 2 for the super nes boss code hoax. it was so good/bad, that people would lie about it.

"yeah, i got it to work. i can play as sagat."
    "can you show me how it's done?"
    "naw man, you're gonna have to find out for yourself."

unbelievable.
    There was a way to play them with a Action Replay code... but it didn't work 100% and the screen was screwed up so it wasn't that good.

7. The Mortal Kombat series boasts a TON of false rumors. And everyone knew a guy who knew a guy who got these to work...

-MK2: Kano and Sonya were hidden characters. If you played as Jax on the "arena"(?) background, do a doouble-flawless fatality and Kano will break free and fight you.

-MK3: Nudalities- even though finding nude pictures of Kerri Hoskins was quite easy since she was a former Playmate.

-MK3: Jago of KI is a hidden character

-The rumor that MK3 was going to be running on the "Ultra 64" hardware

8. The one code where it was said that you could revive Aeris. I forgot the specifics.

9. Sheng Long for me, as well. I think it began the EGM April Fool's tradition.

10. Most memorable hoaxes:

-Sheng Long. Immortalized for all time. The reality(Akuma) will never live up to the legend.

-The "revive Aeris" rumor in FF7

-The infamous SF2 "boss code"

-MK2 "Animalities" and other assorted tricks(though I swear I saw a Rayden fatality where he called out Kid Thunder and pounded on him, however you couldn't see it)

-KI proclaimed the first N64 title

-The "Project Reality" demostations that were actually SGI stations hidden underneath the tablecloths

-All the crazy rumors for SF3 before it was finally released