Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acclaim drops GameCube support

1. Good little Ack-lame, now hurry up and pull out of PS2 and XB too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

2. Wow, Acclaim, THQ, Armada 2, Sega Sports all shying away from the Cube.

You see, a year ago I would have been pissed as the Japanese Cube market was a wasteland and the US market was the above bozos among other multi-platform crud.

This year though...we have 8 Capcom games heading our way, at least two RPGs, and small Japanese developers are starting to release more and more Cube titles like GTCube and potentially decent Treasure title Dragon Drive. Hudson's remakes of games like Bonk and Adventure island are intriguing too. Result? This year the Cube has less watered down multiplatform titles and more original Japanese softs, works for me. *-neo

3. Re: Re: Acclaim drops GameCube support

Originally posted by haohmaru
    File Ch. 11 and get it the fuck over with already.

No, they shouldn't do that. That is a bad thing.

=)
    -Rich

4. I think Acclaim was the #1 third-party publisher for Nintendo during the N64 days, right? It's weird they're ditching them now.
    And they have made a couple of good games guys - it's not like they're 3D0.

*goes back to playing Burnout 2*

5. Acclaim has actually published a few games that were pretty good. NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat 2 for SNES were both solid ports of classic arcade hits. Aggressive Inline and the first Dave Mirra BMX were great extreme sports games for their time. In fact, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 stole most of its ideas directly from AI's career mode.

Overall, Acclaim's bad games far outweigh the good. Turds like Batman Forever, Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball, and Turok Evolution left a very sour taste in my mouth. But like Tyler said, I give them more credit than companies like 3DO.

6. Originally posted by neoalphazero
    Wow, Acclaim, THQ, Armada 2, Sega Sports all shying away from the Cube.

You see, a year ago I would have been pissed as the Japanese Cube market was a wasteland and the US market was the above bozos among other multi-platform crud.

This year though...we have 8 Capcom games heading our way, at least two RPGs, and small Japanese developers are starting to release more and more Cube titles like GTCube and potentially decent Treasure title Dragon Drive. Hudson's remakes of games like Bonk and Adventure island are intriguing too. Result? This year the Cube has less watered down multiplatform titles and more original Japanese softs, works for me. *-neo

Perhaps those companies were smart enough to see the bigger picture. Sure the PS2 has 50 million users, but it also has about 500+ games that a publisher has to compete with. The Gamecube has about 120+ titles to compete with, thus there's a better chance your product might get noticed, before it hits the bargain bin, like a third of all titles published on the PS2.

7. Originally posted by Hero
    It's funny that Nintendo can still make profit even when the doom-sayers say it's the end. Even funnier when those doom-sayers are someone no one really cares about. It's like kicking up trouble just to gain notice; heaven knows they don't get the attention for their games.
    They can sure make a profit, but most of that is GBA.

Console market share has declined steadily and looks to be endless.

It used to be "Hey, we are number one, we own it all", now it's "We just want to make money".

The times, they are a changin'.

I can't blame anyone for pulling 3rd party support of GC, the gap between the top 5 selling GC games (all Nintendo games I think) and the 3rd party ones is pretty brutal.

8. I think it's funny when third parties feel as though they contribute in some way to the Gamecube's roster. "Square's back!!!" I didn't buy my Gamecube for Square games, but sure, whatever, hop on board. "Acclaim's leaving!!!" So what. I didn't buy my Gamecube for Acclaim games either. I bought it for Nintendo games. The games I currently own include Zelda, Mario Sunshine, Wario World, and Eternal Darkness, and the games I'm planning on purchasing in the near future include Toadstool's Tour, F-Zero, Double Dash, Star Fox, etc.

You see, Nintendo is all that matters on a Nintendo console. I'm not knocking third parties at all, but they are simply of no signifigance when it involves my Gamecube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

9. The new Penny Arcade fits this thread perfectly:

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

10. Ah, good ole' PA...
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan