Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: FLCL coming to Adult Swim

1. That's just rediculous.

Hey! I just bought myself a copy of the LE disc three w/ collector's box.

I suppose I should go post that in the Haul thread.

It only got me for $12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

2. I was planning on watching tonight's episode of FLCL on Cartoon Network, and then watching the DVD I just bought...but I couldn't wait.

Wow. There is much to much to be said about the final episode. It was bitter-sweet, heady, fun, funny, and endearing all at the same time. I dare say it's the best single episode of any anime series I've ever watched.

And the bit about the hand intregued me greatly. It looked like, quite on purpose I'm sure, the right hand of Christ, with the nail mark and all. And the quip about Medical Mechanica "smoothing out the wrinkles so humans couldn't think anymore." That kind of hit me as saying Jesus Christ, or relegion in general, stunts the thinking process and makes one much less human.

That might just be the Christian in me, but considering the studio this came from, and all of the relegion in Evangelion, I don't think it's to far of a stretch.

I'd really like to talk about this further. See what all you guys have to say.
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

3. Great analysis Veggie! I was too busy soaking up the animation to think of anything like that

4. Quote Originally Posted by kabuki
    Great analysis Veggie! I was too busy soaking up the animation to think of anything like that
    Well, I look for it because I love it. Even if it's markedky different than what I know to be true about relegion, I can still appreciate it, nay, love it. I love relegious references. LOVE THEM!!!

And you know what's the kicker? I got all of that out of the imagery! In Evangelion it's blatently obvious and handed to you on a silver platter. But with FLCL, it was more of an off-the-cuff passing remark of no consequence, but the impact was no less significant.

I could be wrong. I could be reading way into this. But somehow I doubt it.

5. vegie, i didnt get that at all out of it, but it may be. I know in some post eva interviews, the director of eva said eva really was more about using religious imagery than actual religion,and was more of a jungian thing than a religious one. To me flcl was supposed to be totally difficult to understand because we are generally shown the world from naota's perspective, and he is still a kid, he seems entirely incapable of understanding all that is going on. The only religious stuff i got out of flcl was the canti biz, and mamimi's fixation with the video game,and how that juxtaposed with her image of naota's brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

6. It's amazing how many people's sigs and avatars make sense after watching this show.

7. Quote Originally Posted by frostwolf ex
    vegie, i didnt get that at all out of it, but it may be. I know in some post eva interviews, the director of eva said eva really was more about using religious imagery than actual religion,and was more of a jungian thing than a religious one. To me flcl was supposed to be totally difficult to understand because we are generally shown the world from naota's perspective, and he is still a kid, he seems entirely incapable of understanding all that is going on. The only religious stuff i got out of flcl was the canti biz, and mamimi's fixation with the video game,and how that juxtaposed with her image of naota's brother.
    Yeah, like I said, I'm probably reading into things.

I really felt for Mamimi at the end of the final ep. She was totally alienated and ousted from Naota's little world, even though she desperatly wanted to be a part of it.

And then Haruhara goes and does the same thing to him. Serves the little bastard right!

8. To some degree,i think mamimi is liberatet, she has been looking for other things to take care of her, be it canti, the game, or naota, or the brother, and lives trapped in an juvinile world of small actions and outcast locations she looks like she finally broke free of dependence in the final ep,and has gone on. i felt bad for her, but she is free now good and bad can happen now. if anything i was kind of confused, naota seems at times to be attached to her, the mayor's daughter,and haruko. He ends up alone, but is growing, i think thats why haruko could use his head, he is capable of growth, unlike the overgrown adolescent kamon. I think thats why haruko seems to, at times treat him like the pirate king,and why he seems to be able to channel him and use his guitar, because he will grow to be someone like the pirate king, not a theif, not an alien, but the core thing that attracted haruko to the pirate king, a "man".
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

9. Woah, dude. That was a really good analysis of what went on.

I commend you. I wasn't looking that deep. I think you hit it spot on.

10. Wow, this show is pretty cool. Even my sister (who doesn't like anime at all... well I don't like it that much either come to think of it) really likes it.This is the first time I've ever seen FLCL so I'm a little confused.

Any ideas what the sole edit will be? CN mentioned that they only edited one part in the final ep.