Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there some natural reason to quit a company after launching its system?

1. Is there some natural reason to quit a company after launching its system?

Bernie Stolar, Seamus Blackley... possibly others before I started keeping track... These people were the single spokespersons for system launches that they have been very proud of. Shortly after the system launches, they quit "to pursue other interests". Just thinking in terms of psychology, why would a person put so much effort into something that they publicly treat as their baby, only to leave the arena once the baby is born?

2. Maybe they were only hired to be the frontman, to help get the console off to a solid start. And once they've done the job, they move on.

Andy787 Guest
    I really doubt Stoler or Blackely sold any systems. Sure, they kept the press informed, but anybody could do that. Seriously, how many people do YOU know that bough a DC or Xbox because of what either of them had to say?

Stibbons Guest
    Originally posted by Andy787
    Seriously, how many people do YOU know that bough a DC or Xbox because of what either of them had to say?
    According to the words of Seamus, you already have an Xbox.

5. Well, supposedly, Stolar and Blackley busted their butts trying to build a good relationship with developers more so than the general public. So it was basically a case of "hey, let's be friends!", then "well, I gotta go, but this other dude will be your friend in my place".

I guess a lot of rules of behavior must change when an office space if involved.

6. Re: Is there some natural reason to quit a company after launching its system?

Originally posted by Bystander
    Bernie Stolar, Seamus Blackley... possibly others before I started keeping track... These people were the single spokespersons for system launches that they have been very proud of. Shortly after the system launches, they quit "to pursue other interests". Just thinking in terms of psychology, why would a person put so much effort into something that they publicly treat as their baby, only to leave the arena once the baby is born?
    Seems like you're assuming these people aren't the mercenary type. If you're just a workaholic who likes succeeding you can become a zealot about whatever project you're assigned. Once the a better paycheck comes along, you'd have no problem jumping ship and taking on a new obsession. In the case of a person like that, success is the only passion and showing enthusiasm for the particular product being sold is just a side-effect...or even a marketing ploy.

7. Considering Blackley left to develop games, I'd say there is a perfectly natural reason to quit a company after launching its system. Game developing is more appealing to most people than hardware developing.

TheSCHLONG! Guest
    i thought bernie was "let go"? oh wait....he was.

http://www.atani-software.net/segaba...chistory1.html

Sega of America's heavy-handed promotion of the Dreamcast to both potential vendors and customers had its price, though. Without warning, Sega of America president Bernie Stolar, who many credit with making the success of the Dreamcast launch possible in the first place, was forced to resign and leave the company. His was not the only head to roll - Gretchen Eichenger, vice president of third-party development, and Eric Hammond, vice president of internal development, also left around the same time. This meant that Sega of America was now going into Dreamcast launch mode without the management team that had laid its foundation in the first place. Stolar's replacement as head of Sega of America was Toshiro Kezuka, and among the chief members of Kezuka's management team was one Peter Moore, senior vice president of marketing. It was widely believed (and later confirmed) that Stolar's departure was encouraged in order to open up further third-party support, as his flamboyant style had caused measurable resentment among certain top-name third-party software houses. Stolar's departure may have also had a lot to do with his constant personality clashes with his boss, Sega CEO Isao Okawa, with whom he had never really gotten along. One can only imagine the scene at Sega of America, with thousands of fingers crossing as 9.9.99 inexorably approached. There was no more to be done, though, and those who had led the charge were now gone. It was going to be up to the whims of American consumers to decide Dreamcast's ultimate fate.

9. whoah.... cool!

10. Bernie Stolar deserves a lot of credit for the current success of video gaming in the USA.

He brought the PS to the masses, effectively making gaming a main stream thing.

Stolar was also very much the reason DC was so hugh in the US. He is also the reason that we got the modem built in for the US launch.

He is also one ugly son of a bitch.