Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ways to tell if a new game has been resealed

Ways to tell if a new game has been resealed

Since this has been brought up recently and is a issue for me I thought I'd make a thread about it share your thoughts about someone trying to pull one over on you and or ways to spot a rewrapped games.

Is it safe to say that PS2 and PS1 with the foil sticker seal, if that has not been broken that it's pretty hard to make it look brand new? I use that as a protection or test when I buy PS games.

It makes me nervous when some games looked like there wrapped in saran- wrap, or when places that only sell new games like Sears has games that have the wrap ripped off even brand new copies of Parasite Eve I have seen selling for new price with no wrap or seal.

Korian

2. You can get in to any game that comes in a jewel case without breaking the sticker/seal that holds it closed...

Originally posted by Kidnemo
    You can get in to any game that comes in a jewel case without breaking the sticker/seal that holds it closed...
    Hmm well isn't it hard? I guess I just have to be sure who I'm buying from yet if it was a EB or something trying to reseal something from a previous purchase I'd think the seal would already have been broken by a customer who returned a game cause once its broken it would be hard to fix.

Korian

4. Yes, I do it everyday at my job.

The real way to tell is with PS games they have original plastic wrap, and not the rewrap plastic that I use. You can tell if they have that easy start strip, that lets you rip off the plastic easy.

But I do know 3rd party Gamecube games come in crappy rewrap plastic....so you cant tell with those.
    "If you aren't a bit depressed, then you aren't paying attention to what's going on in the world - Get busy living or get busy dieing."

5. it's simple, just pop one of the hinges and fold over. viola! Easy way to tell is if you look at the sides and see a rugged line, like it was burned then it is re-sealed. New games have nicely folded edges at the sides. It's really easy to tell the difference.

SC

6. A good way to tell if a CD game like a Playstation, Dreamcast, Japanese Saturn game has been resealed or if it is the original seal is the wrapping itself, original wrapping has glued folded ends at both the top and bottom and usually a strip to open it (Playstation games in Japan say "Playstation" on them which helps, the wrapping is also a heavier mil. Resealed games I have seen are your typical wrap with seams done by a heat gun... I have seen countless so called new sealed Radiant Silvergun auctions that where like this

And older Japanese Nintendo games don't come factory sealed, they have no seal at all... The PAL Super Nintendo has a very nice seal on the other hand, my Terranigma had one similar to the Import PSX games but with "Nintendo" on the strip

7. Originally posted by Korian

Hmm well isn't it hard?
    Korian
    No its farily simple, you just take off the cover buy sticking your nails under the side and pulling it out. Its hard to explain. You cant really imagine it untill you see someone do it.

The seal never gets broken or ripped.

With PS2 games you just open the DVD case without breaking the seal and just take out the disk. I don't do that cuase im lazy, so i just break the seal, costomers dont seem to care.

Just to let you guys know, I can "borrow" any new game I want from my job. I just rewrap it when Im done.
    "If you aren't a bit depressed, then you aren't paying attention to what's going on in the world - Get busy living or get busy dieing."

8. dvd cases are a little more difficult. Just open one corner and try to pop the disc out with one finger, then carefully slide disc out.

SC

9. super mario works at a Gamestop(or one of the others owned by them)...I used to work there...such a horrible job.

SC

10. Originally posted by supermario

No its farily simple, you just take off the cover buy sticking your nails under the side and pulling it out. Its hard to explain. You cant really imagine it untill you see someone do it.

The seal never gets broken or ripped.
    There ya go.

People that work at Babbages/EB/etc, are able to check out games for a couple of days to try them out. They can check out just about any game, and with this method (unless you can tell by the shrinkwrap) you'll never be able to tell it was open.