Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parasite Eve revisited

1. Parasite Eve revisited

I'm not the world's biggest Square fan - in fact I own only this and Vagrant Story. I replayed PE recently and it's still one of the best games I've played on PSX, and one of my all-time favorites. It gets ripped for having a weird story, questionable combat, not RPG-ish enough, etc etc., but being a non-RPG fan, I devoured every second. I liked the fact there were no voice-overs. I liked the combat-dome mechanics. I liked getting new weapons and adding slots with Tools, gaining PE powers, and levelling up in general. It features fantastic enemy design (esp. the bosses), and the museum still stands as one of the most gorgeous environments I've visited (the whole game still looks great). I thought the soundtrack was excellent. The combat system also did away with the fixed camera-angle problem so prevalent in 3D adventure combat. I got into the story from the beginning, and I'm willing to bet I'm one of the few people who enjoyed every inch of the Chrylser Building (esp. the Bee boss).

I looked forward to the sequel, but was severely disappointed. It took most everything I liked about the first game and changed it, for the worse in my eyes.

I keep hoping for a sequel that returns to the origins of the first game.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

I have to agree. Easily one of my favorite Playstation games. I absolutely love the setting and mood the game has.

3. I... ummm... thought it was decent. How was the sequel? I never got around to it...

4. The first PE was... , however the sequel was...
    Still keeping that FUNK alive...^_^
    http://www.dangerz.net/mofo/members/selphiebanner.jpg

Jae's dream date can be found HERE.

5. Well, I also enjoyed this rpg alot. Storyline was unique for rpg, set in the present day, but dealing with more scientific then spiritual threat. One of the few horror rpgs(Like Shadow Hearts and Koudelka) that deal with more darker than usual subject, and have M rating.

Graphics were excellent, I loved those fmv movies, and have them recorded on tape Character designs were good, and Aya stands out as one of few female main characters in rpgs.

Battle system was innovative combining turn based and real time elements, and grid later used in Vagrant Story. Enemy designs were good, and quite different. I also enjoyed boss battles alot. I loved the various weapon classes, and all the possible customisations that could be done to weapons, also later used in VS. Combining 2 machine guns to make 1 stronger one, and later adding fire or ice elements to it was cool.

Last Boss part was little bit annoying, where you had to run away from the enemy, otherwise it would be instant death, and if you messed up, it was start over.

It also had some replayability, with whole Chrysler building quest. Damn, It was really annoying, but I did made it through. Infamous Bee Boss really made me mad though, after countless attemps to kill it, which always eded up im my own death

So, PE is definately one of PSX better rpgs, and even Square haters can say it is different from the usual rpg story and settings.

6. Originally posted by EThugg
    I... ummm... thought it was decent. How was the sequel? I never got around to it...
    What...?, EThugg enjoys a Squaresoft game...My how times have changed...
    Still keeping that FUNK alive...^_^
    http://www.dangerz.net/mofo/members/selphiebanner.jpg

Jae's dream date can be found HERE.

Last Boss part was little bit annoying, where you had to run away from the enemy, otherwise it would be instant death, and if you messed up, it was start over.
    I hate that part. Even though I have the damn section memorized and I haven't failed yet, the sheer fact that I can die by just being touched really really screws with my mind while doing it

8. Well, I probably one of few people that actually liked PE2

Sure it tried to hard to be RE, but I enjoyed it anyway. It was one of few attemps(Koudelka comes to mind once again ) to combine RE style gameplay with RPG setup, and eventhough it worked for me, many other people didnt like it.

Graphics were pretty good, and I had no problems with control setup, since I never complained about RE setup either, and PE2 remind of that. The game still have alot of action in it, and boss fights were exciting.

Its not the greatest game, but decent enough to get, if you see it for a low price.

9. Originally posted by jae_hoon_MOTW

What...?, EThugg enjoys a Squaresoft game...My how times have changed...
    Don't get too excited... this is the only one I liked really...

10. I loved PE. Still do. As a matter of fact, I have the Standee of Melissa from however many years ago. Such a beautiful game. You make me want to play it again.
    Throw fireballs at him...
    Laugh at his moustache...
    http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/...o_gcn_game.jpg
    But do not mess with his vacation.