Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why, yes. I will have a large order of Review, but please hold the Fanboy.

1. Why, yes. I will have a large order of Review, but please hold the Fanboy.

Okay. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but can I simply find good anime reviews minus the maddening fanboy crap?

I'm tired of wading through text ejaculated onto the internet by 14 year-olds (or 37 year-olds still living with mom, who write like 14 year-olds). All I want is a good, objective review of Japanese animation. I'm tired of the fans telling me what I should like, instead of getting a real, honest review of what is good.

Any places that I could look?
    bastard of the new world order.

2. http://www.tokidokijournal.com/ <-- self pimpin'

http://www.tokidokijournal.com/anime/berserk/ <-- My Berserk article (which should be titled "The brilliance of Berserk - power, love, and death" and not "Berserk review" since it really isn't really a review) might fit the style you are looking for... or else it will epitomize what you hate Tell me which one it is

3. "The conclusion to Berserk could not have been more well crafted or emotionally powerful. The final moments of the series are simultaneously an ending and a beginning, putting full closure on an arc, yet opening up the doors for something more. Many of the series’ greatest moments occur right near the end, really pushing through a catharsis on the audience, and help to conclude one of the most emotionally powerful and overall stunning anime sagas that you will ever have the pleasure of watching."

That is a good sum up. I've never watched Berserk, however, as I dislike rampant violence (certain situations, it's alright, but I'm not much a fan of hyper-violent animation).

Your review was much better than most (I COULDN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS! THIS JAPANESE GUY... DAIYU... I FORGET IT, BUT ITS A GREAT NAME. HE MADE IT. ANYWAY, I DON'T KNOW ANY JAPANESE BUT I WATCHED IT IN JAPANESE ANYWAY. EVEN WITHOUT SUBTITLES, BECAUSE I AM HARDCORE AND THAT WAS THE ORIGINAL VISION OF THE ARTIST... yadda yadda yadda). HOWEVER! You mentioned Evangelion. I guess... I guess that is a staple of Japanese animation reviews.

4. www.animejump.com has the best reviews out there IMO.

5. http://www.animejump.com is good.. example (spirited away)

however, i'm very picky when it comes to anime, so i mostly use sites like this for technical information and release dates.

edit: beaten to the punch, apparently..

6. You could try here.

I've started posting reviews myself, though you're likely to get more and frequent reviews at the links posted, you can also check out my review style and see how you like it.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/s...threadid=20102

Also, please give any comments that you may have. This is my first review.

Anime on DVD has some good reviews too.
    Taking it one day at a time.

8. All anime reviews are written by fanboys, by their very nature they have to be. If you're not a fan of anime, why would you write the review? If you think a reviewer isn't a fanboy either they're better at hiding it or thier fannish leaning correspond with your own.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

9. Originally posted by Ammadeau
    All anime reviews are written by fanboys, by their very nature they have to be. If you're not a fan of anime, why would you write the review? If you think a reviewer isn't a fanboy either they're better at hiding it or thier fannish leaning correspond with your own.
    We only expect fanboys because largely, the audience demands it. Should someone have reasonable expectations for an animation, and say so, they may get reemed by the audience for calling the makers on it.

A poor example is Roger Ebert. He loves movies, obviously. But he's generally quite impartial to any particular film. He'll tell you exactly how it is. He's objective about it (the quality of his reviews are up to debate, however). He doesn't run around blasting people with the virtues of his favorite form of entertainment. He doesn't wear horrible shirts to somehow "prove" he's a fan. He doesn't use obscure terms. He doesn't imply that you're unintelligent because you don't like his choice of entertainment.

He isn't a fanboy, but he is a fan.

That's the difference. What I want, is a mature, respectable, reasonable and normal opinion. I'd like to read a review by someone who has a life outside of his fixation with Japan. Japanese animation is simply another wing in the gallery of motion picture entertainment. Nothing more.

10. well, I don't write anime reviews, but I do write reviews...

And when I watch anime, I do tend to think of it in terms of animation, as a whole. For example, I won't get all giddy over some fanservice-driven anime just for the sake of it being anime and 'obviously better than all that American cartoon crap.' Heck, I still think Chuck Jones and Tex Avery toons are brilliant.

Tangent aside...It's really about looking for places with good, level-headed reviews (like what everyone has mentioned), and then getting the 'feel' for what kind of anime it is you like. Then you'll be able to make good judgements on what you may or may not like better than any 14-year old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.