Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First IGN, now Gamespot

1. Thankfully I find out most of my gaming news from these forums, so I don't go to game sites that much anymore. And also, I was totally expecting something like this to happen.
    It's a mirror image!

2. What a buntch of shite....

I hate these sites.
    "If you aren't a bit depressed, then you aren't paying attention to what's going on in the world - Get busy living or get busy dieing."

3. Originally posted by mattvanstone
    I'm confused...why would someone pay for something that's free for a week, is it just to get no pop ups and DL videos?

That seems lame.
    Can you imagine how fast their hits would sink if they went all-pay? That's the only rationale I can see for that. Having free stuff up gives them a way to draw new people in that'd be lost if everything was sealed. To be fair, they have the best game video library on the web, and it always baffled me how they stayed afloat in the first place. It's definitely one of the biggest sites I've come across.
    -Kyo

4. Sucks but maybe, JUST maybe, this'll start the rebirth of print mags. Think about if for a sec. Would you rather pay a monthy fee for 0's and 1's on some shite site or would you rather pay for the info in a monthly magazine (worth it's weight, of course). Don't know about you guys, but I'd rather choose the tangible.

5. Well, I don't go there that much anymore anyway... but this will probably make my visits even less frequent, if I even bother.

C'est la vie...

6. Originally posted by Mr_Furious
    Would you rather pay a monthy fee for 0's and 1's on some shite site or would you rather pay for the info in a monthly magazine (worth it's weight, of course). Don't know about you guys, but I'd rather choose the tangible.
    I'm with Furious. "Pay for news that's a week old, but without the pop ups!"

Umm.....no.

7. I don't particularly care for either IGN or Gamespot since I think their content and especially their writing is below par. Both mentioned the release of the DOA3 booster, several days after I got mine, and both failed to mention that the new moves would not be included, which I think was a major issue.

All the info I need I can find here or on gamefaqs. I'd pay to keep those two alive. For footage, I can wait on the next OXM or just rent the game myself when it hits, since most news places seem to be a week or so behind the actual releases (guess they're not getting very many advanced copies anymore).
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

8. "Make no mistake--the launch of GameSpot Complete is a huge and controversial step for us, both physically and emotionally"

More like they're stepping on our nuts... That seven-day access is going to blow chunks after you try to look at info related in the archive section. Also, are the games that have been left in the review section going to be locked from us as well? Man I tell ya, any corporate suit can sound cute, but in reality, they're feeding us all the BS they can cram down our throat!
    don't wanna tangle with you, I'd rather tangle with him.
    I think I'm gonna bash his head in...

9. Man, that does rather blow not being able to see it later on. I usually hit up a few sites when I find a non-hyped game just to see what sort of scores it recieved and why to see if it might be worth my cash.

10. Re: First IGN, now Gamespot

Originally posted by Brotherman
    I guess this will also mean no gamespot linking and such which makes it harder for people who want to post news.
    I never quite understood this. As long as you don't plagerize, quoting a source is perfectly legal. Online or otherwise. I have a subscription to OXM. My subscription dollars pay their bills/payroll, as do the IGN insider sub dollars. I'm allowed to quote, copy, scan and post, as well as otherwise replicate the content of my OXM (within reason...no distributing full copies) and display it for all to see, as long I don't plagerize or charge for my copies. But for some reason, online content, that behaves in the exact same manner is governed by a different set of rules? Whatever.
    Throw fireballs at him...
    Laugh at his moustache...
    http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/...o_gcn_game.jpg
    But do not mess with his vacation.