Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First IGN, now Gamespot

1. Originally posted by unit003
    Man I tell ya, any corporate suit can sound cute, but in reality, they're feeding us all the BS they can cram down our throat!
    In reality, you're being dumb. They're just trying to find a business plan that works to sustain the company for the long term.
    That doesn't necessarily amount to shitting in your major facial orifice. (Which, I might add, you shouldn't knock until you've tried. Scatastic!)

2. I agree. It's not shitty at all.

It's just like penny-arcade. I like that site, good information and funny comics, but I'm not paying for it. If it's worth it to others to do that, best o' luck to ye, paying for information that I can get elsewhere just aint my cup of tea.

3. "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"...

Apparently Mr. Debt can.

4. Originally posted by gamevet
    The only way websites like Gamespot can make money, is for it's users to purchase products from the banner advertising. How many of us do that?

None...fortunately we're not feeling those pinches - but it's not suprising that professional outlets are. After all, denizens of the net simply don't care to click on ads...they've evolved to intrusive, 'please get that stupid pop up out of my face' set ups, in which people just want to get to the content.

Times are changing...and sadly, not everyone is going to be in favor of paying for content that used to be made available to them for free. In most respects, it will be worth it - as a lot of them must use some sort of productive model to keep their operations going. Charity foundations like Pay Pal are a noble effort, but still far from the ultimate solution.

At least Gamespot has developed something that's a bit more practical (reasonable?) to its readership. A week isn't bad, and hopefully, they won't be inclined to reduce the interval in which the content remains free.

Anyone want to make a bid that GameFAQs is next?

5. Originally posted by bahn

Anyone want to make a bid that GameFAQs is next?
    don't jinx it... ><

6. I never go there anyway...

7. Thats sad.....kind of. They had a pretty good news section , and had a huge amount of gaming related stuff in their archives. I didnt care for their reviews or gamespotting features though.......So when can we expect the internet economy to improve?
    As for the TNL staff , why dont you set up a donate to TNL feature so people would donate free cash and all if they ever felt like it? It works for Rpgfan......

I doubt that Gamefaqs could suddenly just start charging without a lot of problems. Unlike other sites, gamefaq's doesn't run on its own content (if I'm correct) but mostly the content of fans that want to post faqs on their site. Unless they posted a stipulation earlier on that any faq posted their becomes their property, the lawsuit floodgates would open. The site would probably loose huge amounts of content as well as potentially paying out royalties to use some faqs.
    Taking it one day at a time.

9. Uh. Did anyone actually read up on the update? For free users, they're really not changing much. All content stays available for a week after being posted. Streaming videos cut to one. Screenshots reduced in number.

Big deal. I only read the site for their pre-release coverage anyway. Reviews all over the place bite.

10. Originally posted by xS
    Thats sad.....kind of. They had a pretty good news section , and had a huge amount of gaming related stuff in their archives. I didnt care for their reviews or gamespotting features though.......So when can we expect the internet economy to improve?
    As for the TNL staff , why dont you set up a donate to TNL feature so people would donate free cash and all if they ever felt like it? It works for Rpgfan......
    Well, we have Amazon as our store hub for now.

We never developed the site with a business model in mind. No one's ever got rich from this, and we certainly never anticipated the advertising foundation to fall on itself.