Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First IGN, now Gamespot

First IGN, now Gamespot

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...862520,00.html

Well, costs have been hurting many major sites lately and Gamespot isn't an acception. As far as the insider plan they have, it's a little different from IGN's. The new reviews and such will be available for about a week and then will have to be paid for to be seen. I guess this will also mean no gamespot linking and such which makes it harder for people who want to post news.

At least we'll be able to read the news and stuff which is cool.

Anyway, check out the link and read the details and post your opinion. If only the web could be more profitable without having to do things like this.

Thanks to darthlafollette from the Team XBox boards for the news.
    Taking it one day at a time.

2. I love the concept of paying for pop-up free content. It's like teabagging someone, just shaming and annoying them over and over, into giving you money.

Send me 5 dollars or I will annoy you!

Too late.

3. Not Gamespot! Bastards.

4. Nice as they may be with new content, they won't be getting a cent from me.

5. The only way websites like Gamespot can make money, is for it's users to purchase products from the banner advertising. How many of us do that?

I know what you mean gamevet. Even as much as clicking an add could have helped the site. Alas it was easy to forget to do so...

IGN still has a bit to prove before I'm drawn in content wise, but Gamespot is a very good site. It temps me to pay much more than IGN does. Alas I have no money I can put out to do so. Well, at least their content for E3 will be available to all (I hope).

7. maybe if banner ads offered something interesting, like a coupon... or some sort of deal, people would click on them...

but no... all that the ads say is "CLICK HERE BECAUSE WE HAVE FFX STRATEGY GUIDE!!!", or "LOOK AT US!!! WE HAVE INFO ON GTA3!!! WE RULES!!!".... as if no one else on the net has FFX and GTA3...

I hope they warn their board users beforehand if they decide to lock the forums there.

9. Extortion done right. I'm glad non-payers will still be able to look through the news when it's fresh off the press, unlike IGN's illogical backwards method.

10. I'm confused...why would someone pay for something that's free for a week, is it just to get no pop ups and DL videos?

That seems lame.