Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atelier Viorate Quick Impressions

1. Atelier Viorate Quick Impressions

A quick example of the tone of Atelier Viorate:

If you choose the main character's brother for one of her combat partners, Viorate gains a special attack where they engage in a huge sibling brawl in a rather cartoonish style with a dust cloud, wacky sound effects, and odd objects flying all over the place, which smacks into the monsters they were fighting, doing damage to them. That ought to teach bears who offer people booze and eat box lunches.

The world is not in jeopardy. There is no spiky haired hero with a mysterious past or arrogant bastard out to take over the world. There are no in-game cut-scenes. There is no 3D whatsoever. This is not your average Japanese RPG. This is the fifth game in the Atelier series by Gust, a series which sadly has never come to the US.

Variety is the spice of Atelier Viorate. Unlike most Japanese that dish out combat after combat with a heavy portion of story in between and sprinkled with the occasional mini-game, AV has no set recipe the player needs to follow.

If you feel like gathering ingredients and battling monsters along with a little exploring you can do that, or you could stay in your home town, buy ingredients from a store, and make money by combining these items via alchemy into things you can sell. Or you could focus entirely on your alchemy research, creating new items which in turn are used to create even better items, like taking milk to produce cheese and later turning that into some tasty cheesecake. Or once you have progressed far enough into the game, you can open your own shop to sell your wares, specializing in whatever you like or having a little bit of everything, and hiring someone to run it if you don't feel like doing it yourself. Or you can bond with various NPCs by taking out monsters with them, which will in turn prompt sub scenarios with the particular NPC.

There's variety in other ways. Like the over a dozen NPCs that can join Vio in combat, each with four unique abilities, like the maid who falls flat on her back to take a quick nap in the middle of combat to restore hit points or the drunken girl who chugs down alcohol only to spit it out as fire at her enemies. Not to mention the hundred or so alchemy recipes Vio can follow, all the various equipment, everything from combat feather dusters to magical bracelets, that can be bought or made, all the different places Vio can go, though these only open up at the game progresses and some areas only accessible via special items that need to be made (but there's always several possible items to choose from).

An interesting first for the Atelier series is tutorials. Whenever Vio needs to do something she hasn't done before, the player can choose to see a short slideshow which explains exactly how the task is done. These are in Japanese like the rest of the game, but the pictures alone helped me understand some of the new aspects this game introduced. This, combined with a number of other minor tweaks, makes it the most accessible Atelier game to people who can't read Japanese.

Graphics are 2D with a lot of attention to detail, from the way a cat is startled awake to the grass blowing in the breeze. Some monster, NPC, and item graphics were reused from the previous two PS2 games, but Atelier Viorate is still about 85% original. All the little details in Vio's bedroom alone show how much care went into crafting this fantasy world. There isn't a single spot in the game which feels vacant or lacking in detail.

Unlike the music in Judie, which felt like remixes of tunes from the previous games, the music here is unique and rather wonderful in Dolby Pro Logic II. Overall, it has a light feel which suits the game perfectly.

This is not by any means a difficult game, at least if you don't try to take down monsters you're not ready for or make items without obtaining the proper tools first. It's meant to be light-hearted fun that can keep you entertained for five minutes or five hours at a stretch. And it fulfills that goal better than any other game I have ever played.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

2. Nice impressions of Violet. I always dug the Atelier series, though originally for me, it's main draw was the fantastic art by Kohime Ohse but once I actually played it(Marie was the first I tried) with some friends I dug it. This and Langrisser are series that should be ported over, each in a giant collections of their own, so US gamers can get a chance to play them.

3. won't touch it til it's translated, or I become Japanese literate.

The 2nd option seems more likely.

Cool looking game tho, had one of it's precedents briefly on the 'swan

4. Reading this write-up on your site, Ammadeau, has kindled my interest in the game, as well as the news of a cheap rerelease for it on July 8 (and my recent alchemist character in Morrowind). How much of the dialogue is voiced? My Japanese is better when I've got text to listen to as I read it, and I tend to drown in long unvoiced cutscenes...but it sounds like this doesn't have any of those. This might finally be the place where I jump into this series.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau
    A quick example of the tone of Atelier Viorate
    My copy of Iris no Atelier: Eternal Mana has just arrived. Yours? Would like to know I'm not the only person buying this...

Also, is "Viorate" the correct form to romanize the name? Have you seen that way in something official? Just wondering.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Recap
    Also, is "Viorate" the correct form to romanize the name? Have you seen that way in something official? Just wondering.
    Uh, how about "Violet"?
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

7. Quote Originally Posted by sleeveboy
    Uh, how about "Violet"?
    Maybe, but I don't think the kana form for this would read "Vioraato", which is what you can read in the game logo.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Recap
    Maybe, but I don't think the kana form for this would read "Vioraato", which is what you can read in the game logo.
    LOL

Seriously, LOL.

I can't believe you act like you know a lot about games.

9. There's no official romanization that I can find, but as far as I can tell it's "Violat," which is a Swiss or French name.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
    LOL

Seriously, LOL.

I can't believe you act like you know a lot about games.
    Want to go away for another week?
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood