Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ^&^$#ing Direct TV!

1. ^&^$#ing Direct TV!

I can't take it anymore. One reciever won't tune in anything. That's not even the problem. When everything is working fine, I have to put up with no local sports (where's my Phillies and Sixers and Flyers playoffs!?). Even worse than thatis the picture and sound quality. It is not even up to par with old analog cable. ESPECIALLY the sound! I've never heard anything so bad. It's unlistenable enough through the TV speakers, but the main TV runs through $3000 speakers. UGH! They reveal EVERYTHING that's wrong with the compression. The video looks like a glorifed .avi. No, wait, a large .avi actually looks much better. Backgrounds don't even move, and when they do move they move in weird blocky chunks that don't stabilize untill stuff stands still again.

Hear me now Direct TV! I don't need 200 channels. Take that bandwidth and make about 60 channels watchable! The bit rate on each channel must go up. It is compleatly unnacceptable as is. I mean, it's several leaps back from what we had in the 80's! What the hell's up with that!?

The one positive is the digital music stations. Since there is no video on those channels, the sound is perfectly acceptable with the entire bitrate being thrown its way. We have been listening to the digital radio about twice as much as we've been watching (suffering through) TV.

Oh, and to anybody out there that actually has the ability to watch their local teams, how are my Flyers doing?

2. hahahahaha...my friend has it and it works fine, get digital cable.
    "Punch the yeti! Win a free Llama!"

Johnny Guest
    RF 4 LIFE!

Heh, my DirecTV works fine

Sure the picture quality is iffy on some channels on my big screen, but most channels look acceptable.

5. Nappa, I used to work for Pegausus, which is the rural counterpart of urban DirecTV. If your not getting your local sports channels, let me ask, do you have a phone line connected to your receiver? If so, run a system test to make sure the connection is still good, then call DirecTV, have them download your card and switch the phone connection option on your account to "Yes". That should get you your regional sports networks.

As for the actual picture quality, you should take a look at the RG6 (I believe...) cable's running from your satellite to the receiver, if their old and/or damaged, you may want to consider changing them out, that might be causing the problem.

We've been with DirecTV for a year now and we love it, we get great reception on all our channels and have really had no problems with it. The reception and sound was always crappy on both analog AND digital cable and there is a world of difference here.

Oh, and as for the Flyers/Sens series, your not missing anything spectacular if your a Philly fan. They just lost 3-0 tonight and trailing 3-1 in the series. You guys should've traded for Belfour from Dallas when you had the chance, the Boucher/Checkmanek (sp) goalie tandem won't carry you to the Cup
    omg TNL epics!

6. Well, I got 2 sets of dishes and receivers from my mothers house, since she moved out, so we might use them sometimes in the future, unless we decide to switch to digital cable. Or I might still set up one, to receive russian tv translations, from the sattelite, and keep my cable for everything else.

7. Get Comcast Digital Cable. It's cheaper, and the G4 channel starts the 30th.

The Flyers have lost 3 straight 3-0 games. Deja Vu.

Their DSL sucks too...

9. My TV gets PBS.

ºTracer
    o_O

10. Originally posted by Ragnarok the Red
    Nappa, I used to work for Pegausus, which is the rural counterpart of urban DirecTV. If your not getting your local sports channels, let me ask, do you have a phone line connected to your receiver? If so, run a system test to make sure the connection is still good, then call DirecTV, have them download your card and switch the phone connection option on your account to "Yes". That should get you your regional sports networks.
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. My poor Flyers.