Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your videogame book selection

1. Originally posted by Regus
    Does anyone have that 1000 Heroes book? I looked through it at Barnes and Nobles, and it looked cool. It's a huge book that features a bunch of game characters and talks about while showing off concept art and stills, etc. The things mentioned in there vary wildly, from Fur Fighters to Stuntman.
    I blocked it out of my mind when I saw it didn't include Samus Aran. Not a bad book, but it's really just a general game artbook - the focus on heroes is misleading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

Um... hundreds of strategy guides. As well as Game over, and years worth of magazines.

3. Originally posted by bbobb
    I can't think of my whole list off the top of my head but you all need to read this book:
    Lucky Wander Boy by D.B. Weiss
    It's quite excellent. Here's the web site: http://www.luckywanderboy.com/
    I'd like to second that. Bought it a few weeks ago, after reading a reccomendation in Game Informer, and LOVED it. It's really short though, you should be able to read it in like 2 days.

Originally posted by Regus
    Game Over: Press Start to Continue - THis sucks, the guy who wrote it goes overboard on too many little personal details of the people he's talking about, and his writing is very dry
    You're kidding right? I thought that this was by FAR the most interesting out of all the video game history books. The stuff about Nintendos old business practices, and the stuff about Tetris was fascinating. I reccomend this book highly as well.

Also, I think that Phoenix is now obsolete since "The Ultimate History of Video Games" is available. Ultimate History has everything Phoenix has (pretty much) but is written in a much more intersting way. Phoenix comes off as a school text, and has a number of errors (although they're probably fixed in the latest edition).

I'd also reccomend "Opening the X-Box" by Dean Takahashi. It can be a bit long winded at times, but it's look inside the doors of Microsoft, and at the crazy shit that J. Allard and the like had to go to make X-Box a reality is quite interesting.

The only video game book that I haven't read yet that I'd really like to read is "Masters of Doom".

Originally posted by Ste-Von
    Anybody who is a complete fucking dork should read The Fall of reach by Eric Nylund. Great backstory to the game.
    I agree.

Now, I've left Lucky Wander Boy on the table for you to read for 3 weeks now! Stop slacking and read it!

4. Those three hardcover Myst novels were great for any fans of fantasy books or the series itself. I also have that big hardcover Riven artbook and it is very nice indeed. I rarely ever buy strategy guides (I think just FFX and Pokemon Crystal recently) but I can see why people would collect them. I flip through 'em at Best Buy sometimes and certain ones are very pretty with thick paper and colorful artwork. Makes me want to play games I wasn't interested in before.

Oh, I also have that Lunar 2 hardcover though I've yet to open it or play the game.

5. Oh, I also own Game Design: Secrets of the Sages.

This is a cool book, which has a bunch of interviews with people in the games industry about various things involved in developing a game.
    I have this one, and love it. It's pretty much the only game book I have.

Oh, wait. The Making of Black and White.

6. Originally posted by Compass
    Those three hardcover Myst novels were great for any fans of fantasy books or the series itself.
    I own the paperbacks.

I also own more strat guides then I care to count, Game Over, Ultimate History, and if my wife lets me run out to the Barnes & Noble tonight I'll have a copy of Lucky Wander Boy. I read an excerpt on the official page and was sucked right in. It was the bit about his Grandmother and Microsurgeon.

7. Originally posted by Korly

You're kidding right? I thought that this was by FAR the most interesting out of all the video game history books. The stuff about Nintendos old business practices, and the stuff about Tetris was fascinating. I reccomend this book highly as well.
    No, I'm not kidding. This is supposed to be a book about Nintendo,and it's wheelings and dealings, not the endless back stories about each of the companies key players. I hate how the guy who wrote it would veer off topic whenever a new person was introduced. He would drone on and on about Minoru Arakawa's marrage and family, or Shigeru Miyamoto's youth.

I don't give a fuck about what these people did before they entered the games industry, I got the book because I wanted to learn about games, not about whatever little problems they may of had in their family lives.

And my god, that Tetris chapter was dry. He put me into a coma more than once during it. I actually stoped reading the book at that chapter because it was just so boring.

8. To me, that book was more a story about the people who shaped Nintendo, and in turn, the game industry, than the actual games.

If all you wanted was a book about the games, you have Phoenix or the Ultimate Guide. If you want to dig a little deeper, Game Over is for you.