Thread: Summer Reading

1. Summer Reading

Well since we are knee deep into summer, I was wondering what books everyone is reading. I'm sure a bunch of you are into Harry Potter, but some of us want to read something else..or haven't even finished the third book to get to the fifth one!! So what else is there? So far I've read two books that have really impressed me...

- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - This is a great book!! I have read it 3 times already. Everytime I feel like I'm in a rut or just down, I read this book and it give me a needed swift kick in the ass. I can't reccoment it enough!! It's only 150 pages, can be read in less than 3 hours. I have to say that I have never read a book that I can get something new from it everytime.

- The other book I am in the middle of is The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. This is one book I CANNOT put down. I would love to know what everyone else thinks of this book. It's amazing how all this story is built apon true facts. Truly a great story, the guy clearly did tons of research before he wrote the book and it shows!

So what else is out there??

I'm about 1/3 through Six Armies in Normandy; and amazing book. I'm also getting ready to start The Face of Battle and April Morning (Anyone read this?)

3. Like I've said in every other book thread in the last few months

I'm working my way through the Discworld trilogy.

4. You know there's more than three, right Kidnemo? (Read Carpe Jugulum!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. Indeed. In all my other posts about the Discworld books, I never called them a "trilogy"... I'm not sure why I did this time :/ lol

I'm nearly finished with "Sourcery" now, which is maybe book six-ish...

6. Right now I'm going through Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. I hated the first hundred pages, but now I'm really digging it.

Just finished The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. Extremely well-written, atmospheric, intelligent murder mystery involving a rumored chemical that supposedly extends one's normal lifespan. A series of 100-year-old unsolved murders suddenly start up again in NYC, all involving bizarre spinal mutilations. Protagonist FBI Special Agent Pendergast is, frankly, one of the best fictional characters I've ever encountered.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

7. Cool, Bio, I got to check out the new adventure of Perndergast. I loved him in Relic, but I was very dissapointed by Relinquary

I will try to pick up that book, next time I'm at bookstore.

Lately I havent had much time for book reading, and I still working on getting through The Descent by Jeff Long. Its pretty cool, and the story is interesting, I just wish I had more actual time to finish it.

8. Pendergast rules. I can't figure out why he was left out of the film version of Relic. Oh well.

Cabinet's great, Despair. Better even than Relic, I think - the writing's much more visceral and effective, and Pendergast is even stronger. Oh - Smithback's in it too. That guy's like the clap - you can't get rid of him.

I enjoyed The Descent quite a bit, myself, although I thought certain parts dragged on a bit too much.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010