Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for new section in Gaming Discussion

1. Suggestion for new section in Gaming Discussion

All posts like these

Data East
    Seiken Densetsu

should be group together and get a new section in Gaming Discussion like Trade Depot and Reader Reviews.

2. The video game company history threads in a seperate forum? That seems kinda overkill-ish, if you ask me...

If you put them in a new section not as many people will read them... which would be a shame.

4. Originally posted by 88mph
    If you put them in a new section not as many people will read them... which would be a shame.
    Listen to him, for 88 is wise beyond his post count.

5. Originally posted by 88mph
    I can understand that not everyone visit each and everyone parts of each forum. But these posts can start in the Gaming Discussion and after some amount of time, be moved to a different section so all of them can be group together.

One of the main reason I suggested this is because these are excellent posts. As new posts are submitted in the Gaming Discussion, these types of posts get push down and down. I know that there is a seach function if someone wants to find them again, but sometimes one may not remember what have been posted before. Lets say you haven't visit TNL for a while, you would missed these excellent posts wouldn't you? In the case of new members joining TNL, they will not know these exist, and going to a section for these posts will be able to see what have been posted and be able to contribute. Also if they are group together, problem will be solved.

6. Subscribe to the thread. And if new members are interested in it, they can search. I'm sure a search for "data east" will yield that data east write-up thread.

I don't think the board needs any more subsections. I like it how it is.

8. I kind of like the idea. Why shouldn't we have an archive for the cool threads? I don't see why we should just let the really good ones get buried in the rest of the fluff in the board.

Call it "The Vault" -- once threads like the retrospectives or other "important" discussions have run their course, they are locked and moved to The Vault. Configure it so it's read-only, no new posts are possible.

9. I was asking ECM to do this and I think when I got here I asked Bahn to do this, so it's pretty odd it hasn't been done, huh? Well, after some more thought I don't know that a shrine for the best threads is needed. I'd rather have fresh talk going, and this might put a damper on people creating new discussion. The old threads will still be there and you can browse the indices and pick them out by looking at their titles and the number of replies they generated.

As for the information in those threads, we published a sneak preview of one of our new recurring features this past March, and TNL's developer spotlights will go much deeper than what you see in threads. I know we have been promising this since last fall, but we are going to do this right. We just needed some additions to the staff.

10. If a vault is not going to be created, I proposed that to save threads like the various developer histories and so forth, they be co-opted by TNL and turned into site content. A n00b isn't going to think, "hey! some dude might have posted a cool Data East retrospective before I signed up for the board, I'm going to search for it!" The whole "fading into obscurity" factor is why I'm agreeing with mid-ship about this.

Nick, the idea of TNL staff doing spotlights is nice, but why ignore what's already done? Keep those around for easy reference and browsing by people who have not had a chance to see them.