Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: #$@%!^* Windows'98

1. My general rule of thumb is to put a copy of all functioning (read: not always latest) drivers on a cd and keep it with your OS cd, net card, video card, sound card, and modem drivers if you still suffer with one.

When time comes to crash and burn the OS, you have everything you need to at least get running to get on the net and get the latest drivers.

98 has really weird behavoir sometimes, I remember my last system running 98SE would always warn me the reference drivers for my Voodoo3 "were not writen for this hardware and may casue all sorts of nasty demons to emerge from your computer" or somthing like that.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

2. Originally posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    i thought longhorn was the one thats going into the 3-d desktop realm...the next "official" consumer release that looks a lot like os x. isnt 2003 just the stopgap release between xp and longhorn?
    Hrm... well, I saw "longhorn" on some Windows 2003 server bit torrents...

3. Originally posted by JMET
    regedit is your friend and would have fixed that problem, that or going into safe mode and removing drivers works wonders on win98
    I refuse to go playing arround with my registry knowing nothing about what I'd be doing in there. I took me over a week to get comfortable with msconfig.

4. Originally posted by ShineAqua
    I refuse to go playing arround with my registry knowing nothing about what I'd be doing in there. I took me over a week to get comfortable with msconfig.

5. Originally posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    i thought longhorn was the one thats going into the 3-d desktop realm...the next "official" consumer release that looks a lot like os x. isnt 2003 just the stopgap release between xp and longhorn?
    I don't know about this "3D desktop realm"... not sure where you're getting that... but yes, indeed, Longhorn is the next release of Windows consumer, so it isn't the tag for any currently released Windows OS.

Why is the most up to date Windows person in here the Mac guy?! *heh*
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Bleh.

Just get Windows 2000 or XP. Trust me, it'll make your life a LOT easier.
    For a dark man shall come unto the House of God, and the darkness shall be upon him, yea, even within him.

-- From Noctropolis: Night Visions

http://www.darquecathedral.org/images/drkcathedral.jpe http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/mko.jpe

7. My gf's laptop produces some type of exception handling error when she tries to run IE. Of course, she's running Win98... I thought it might be a problem with Windows resources so I told her to restart her laptop but it's still producing that problem. Reformatting is probably the last option, do you guys know what might be the problem? Maybe I should tell her to get a copy of Mozilla.
    Name: Rock
    Town: Arcadia

8. Windows will run fine if the person running it doesnt jack it up, yes even 98...
    Get in where you fit in fool..

9. Originally posted by slystaff
    Windows will run fine if the person running it doesnt jack it up, yes even 98...
    By "jack it up" what do you mean? By its very nature, Windows 98 is like a time bomb, the fact that you use it causes it to get bogged down... XP and 2000 are not like this.
    Name: Rock
    Town: Arcadia

10. 98 will run fine as long as your not doing destructive shit to it, by its nature you cant leave it running 24/7 without it getting bogged down.

However if you dont install allot of garbage or get in the habbit of massive installing/uninstalling its fine.

Keep it clean, turn off all the animated garbage, keep the crap out of the start up folder and clean within msconfig and everything is gravy.
    Get in where you fit in fool..