Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: #$@%!^* Windows'98

1. #$@%!^* Windows'98

So I reformated my HD yesterday and today (yup I had to do it twice) to escape from the mountain of shit that had become my OS. It had been teetering on the edge of self oblideration for over a month now, under the weight of all the shit that had been done to it (read: inept girlfriend.) Anyhow I had lost my drivers disk for my network card and decided to see if there was a set of generics that would be compatible, and after installing these useless drivers I found myself unable to install the proper ones after I later got them. Hence the second reformatting. For whatever reason Windows refused to acknowledge that the drivers that I needed off the Win'98 disc were even there. I kept getting a message stating that they couln't be found until I reformated again and started with the proper driver set then It found everything I needed. Does anyone here know what the fuck that was all about?

2. Just get Windows 2003. Don't mess with that Windows 98 crap.

3. 2003? XP?

4. It released in April, its a hell of a lot faster than XP. It's a server os thats based off of XP.

5. "Longhorn," aka Windows Server 2003.

This is a server OS. You may want to just get XP, as it will probably solve all problems you have with 98 (especially driver problems, it's very good at that). XP is the current Windows edition geared toward consumers. Server may not do certain things as well as XP, like playing games or some such.

If you want to do normal stuff, go with XP. If you need a more stable OS for a server, go with 2003.

6. If you or someone you know is in college, try to buy windows through the IT department. Only cost me $45 for XP Pro.

7. That's all fine and good. I figured I'd go the XP route when I get a new PC but none of this helps me answer why Windows refused to aknowledge that the proper drivers were on the disk the first time arround. I was just curious why it couldn't find the stuff until I reformated the second time.

8. Just get XP, or at least 2000. I still running 98 on my older PC, and its not very happy with it lately.

9. Originally posted by Lhadatt
    "Longhorn," aka Windows Server 2003.

This is a server OS. You may want to just get XP, as it will probably solve all problems you have with 98 (especially driver problems, it's very good at that). XP is the current Windows edition geared toward consumers. Server may not do certain things as well as XP, like playing games or some such.

If you want to do normal stuff, go with XP. If you need a more stable OS for a server, go with 2003.
    i thought longhorn was the one thats going into the 3-d desktop realm...the next "official" consumer release that looks a lot like os x. isnt 2003 just the stopgap release between xp and longhorn?

10. regedit is your friend and would have fixed that problem, that or going into safe mode and removing drivers works wonders on win98